Aeration/sprinkler marking

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by Mow Money Lawn Care, Aug 17, 2017.

1. Mow Money Lawn Care

Mow Money Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

I am new to aeration this year. How should I approach my customers about marking their sprinklers? Should I recommend they contact their irrigation company, do it themselves or do it myself. Do irrigation companies charge for this service, if so, what is the typical charge? If I were to do it, is that something I should charge for?

2. SLC & IS

SLC & IS LawnSite Member
    from No. Va.

We ask customers to flag heads prior to areation( we supply flags that they keep) if we are asked to flag we just add some to there price. And dont flag the same time your going to do areation makes to much mud.

3. Mow Money Lawn Care

Thanks for that info.

4. Mdirrigation

Mdirrigation LawnSite Gold Member

Irrigation contractors will charge a service call plus flag costs .

The safest way is for you to mark the heads , that way you know they were marked . If done by anyone else some could be missed and you end up paying for the repair

5. DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS LawnSite Fanatic

Exactly the reason you DONT want to mark the heads yourself. If YOU miss one and hit it, your on the hook. If someone else misses one and you hit it....it's their problem. I never mark heads..notice goes out with Septembers bill to have heads marked by 2nd week of Oct for fall aeration. No mark....no service.

6. Mdirrigation

Mdirrigation LawnSite Gold Member

If the heads are marked by someone in advance , somehow they get moved or taken up . When I aerate , If I dont mark them , I am not responsible . ( I also charge to do it )

7. JMK26

JMK26 LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from Missouri

I send out a mass email telling my clients to mark the heads. I let them know if they don't have flags I have them and drop them off the next time I mow. ( no cost to me because they're the utility flags I pick up all season on my properties.

If they are not marked they don't get serviced or get knocked to the bottom of the schedule, if they're still not marked they don't get aerated.

8. Mow Money Lawn Care

Great info. I was hoping it wasn't typical for me to mark them. I only offered aeration to a few of my customers with sprinklers this year so I can come up with a good system to have them marked. I will send them an email and leave flags behind for them to mark or I will tell them I will mark them for a fee or they can call their irrigation co.

9. JMK26

JMK26 LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from Missouri

Best way to mark them if you do it is to have them turn the the system on...you'll get wet, but you'll find them all.

This is why I don't do it. I don't have access to their system and if they're going to be home to turn it on they can do it themselves and save a few bucks, plus if I miss one I'm responsible.

10. JDeet Lawn Care

JDeet Lawn Care LawnSite Member

If you know where the valve boxes are you can manually turn each zone. I always bring a box of heads and run their system when done, fix any broken. Shallow lines are also easy to hit. Just have a conversation with the customer before hand and explain these situations can happen and you are willing and able to repair them. Honestly and good communication goes along way.