Aeration Vs. The invisible dog fence.

GroundKprs

LawnSite Bronze Member
Runner, that's basically all they do. The bear is finding all the breaks in the line. And then 5 months later, the line gives out again from corrosion in spots where you just skinned it, but didn't cut all the way through.

If anyone gets a hint client is thinking of an invisible dog fence, have them make sure the installer is going to put it in at least 4" deep. And the installer is responsible for damages less deep than that.

But then I have killed lots of cable TV and telephone lines, too. The invisible fence installers don't have a copyright on laziness. Hope I never run into a really lazy electric or gas installer. :cry:

Premo Services

LawnSite Bronze Member
Originally posted by GroundKprs
But then I have killed lots of cable TV and telephone lines, too. The invisible fence installers don't have a copyright on laziness. Hope I never run into a really lazy electric or gas installer. :cry:
The cable companies here never bury the wires. I have two customers that have had the wires above ground for over a year. I have cut it once and both the customer and I thought they would bury it, but no luck. In a subdivision common area, there are cables and they are cut, have been for 6-8 months and never fixed. One day when I was cutting I noticed them cut and laying on the part I cut. I rolled it up and threw it in the weeds, it is still there to this day.

bdemir

LawnSite Senior Member
My recommendation is do not do a house with buried wires. What if their dog runs away and bites someone and you are the blame. If they tell you about it dont even consider doing an aeration job and that yard. That would be my response. Think smart. Avoid problems to make your lawn care experience a pleasant one.

Bedros

Tony Harrell

LawnSite Senior Member
Bedros(?) Makes an excellent point. I wonder if we would be held liable for that? Surely an aggressive dog would be more secure than that but, anything can happen I guess. It's certainly something to consider.

Country_Joe

LawnSite Member
I am a homeowner that also has an invisible fence. It was professionally installed but only an inch or two deep. Before I had this installed I lost a dog due to drowning when she broke through the ice one winter while walking on the lake. We were devastated. My wife witnessed the accident. We now have two Labs and did not want a repeat performance, thus the fence. Works great. Our dogs have learned that they only can go swimming when we are with them and take the collars off.
Anyway, what I am getting at, have any of you had any experience with liquid soil conditioners that are intended to relieve soil compaction and treat the soil? Some examples are products such as Turf2Max, ROOTS123 and a product offered by KPWhite and company (soil conditioner). Are these an effective alternative to traditional aeration or would I just be throwing my money away? Any imput would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks....Dennis

crazygator

LawnSite Bronze Member
When giving a quote for aerating, I ALWAYS ask about irrigation, dog fence etc... If they say yes to any of those things, then I tell them I will leave marker flags (for the homeowner to mark the area) for me to avoid those area's.

I did a fall clean up Sunday at a good customers house. I was surprised to see all those white flags marking the invisible dog fence. I immediately thought "Well I wont be aerating her lawn again". This year she installed irrigation, now doggie fence......I think this is getting to be too much to avoid.

I did an aeration for a friend, he has the doggie fence. I asked him to mark it off, and he did. I stayed away from it, and have not heard anything about it not working.

The point here is, if you ask THEM to mark it then you cant be responsible. If they do not want to mark the lines, then I say move on. The hassle will not be worth any money you get no matter how much.

haymaker

LawnSite Member
Country_Joe said:
I am a homeowner that also has an invisible fence. It was professionally installed but only an inch or two deep. Before I had this installed I lost a dog due to drowning when she broke through the ice one winter while walking on the lake. We were devastated. My wife witnessed the accident. We now have two Labs and did not want a repeat performance, thus the fence. Works great. Our dogs have learned that they only can go swimming when we are with them and take the collars off.
Anyway, what I am getting at, have any of you had any experience with liquid soil conditioners that are intended to relieve soil compaction and treat the soil? Some examples are products such as Turf2Max, ROOTS123 and a product offered by KPWhite and company (soil conditioner). Are these an effective alternative to traditional aeration or would I just be throwing my money away? Any imput would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks....Dennis

Hey, Just saw your post when looking up info on liquid aerators. I have limited experience but I like the research I have seen on the website the ease of application, the client cost, the lack of damage, etc. my plan in my grounds maintenance business is to never use mechanical aerators henceforth unless the client demands it. The Haymaker