• Online Events For Landscapers!
    With GIE+EXPO cancelled, virtual education and product launches are filling up the fall. Check out dates for Caterpillar, Exmark, NALP, and more. Click here to learn more.

AERATION WITH GOLF SHOES

O

OLD CHAPP

WE HAVE HAD GOOD LUCK WITH GOLF SHOES WHEN WE CUT.WHAT DO YOU GUYS THINK?????

dfor

LawnSite Senior Member
To aerate properly, you need to actually remove a plug of dirt from the soil. This way the soil becomes less compacted and the roots have room to spread. Golf shoes in my opinion just compact the soil. Anybody correct me if I am wrong.

greenlawncare

LawnSite Member
They sold a product in the seventies that I remember. It was a strap on board the size of a shoe with 1 inch spikes on it. There were two straps you used to attach it to your shoes. They sold it to a bunch of morons until they were taken off the market for false advertising.

Aeration must reduce the overall density of the ground to be useful. What you are doing with golf shoes is decreasing the desity of the area of the hole and increasing the density of the area next to the hole. The net effect is the same overall density. Except that the soil that contains grass is more dense and the soil that contains no grass has practically no density. Besides causing increased density for the plant, you are also going to be tearing roots for no reason.

I'm sure they didn't teach you this one landscaping school.

Toddppm

LawnSite Senior Member
Dense? I don't know but they still sell those things, i think they are in amleanords catalog.

bob

LawnSite Platinum Member
The new Ryan aerator says Nike on the side.

BRL

LawnSite Bronze Member
Guys & gals,
How do you think all those GCS's keep their courses looking so beautiful without one aerator in their equipment inventory ;) ?