1. Can’t make it to the GIE+EXPO 2017?
    LawnSite brings the trade show floor to your fingertips with our new GIE+EXPO 2017 Sneak Peek video series debuting now in the Lawn Mowing forum.

Dismiss Notice

Aeration

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by Mow Money Lawn Care, Jul 15, 2017.

1. Mow Money Lawn Care

Mow Money Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

Since I am new to aeration this year, I am seeking advice. What are the do's and do nots of aeration? I would like to eliminate any possible mistakes.

I am nervous to put an aerator on a property with a sprinkler system because I do not want to puncture any of the water lines. I am assuming they are at least 6" deep, but in an area that may have erosion, the tines could easily puncture the water lines.

I am also not sure who is supposed to mark the sprinkler heads? Do I request they have their irrigation service mark them? If so, how much does that typically cost? Should I suggest they do it if they are capable? Or do I mark them?

Any advice is appreciated.

2. oqueoque

oqueoque LawnSite Gold Member
    Male, from Jersey

I mark them with 2 or 3 flags, surrounding the head. Some customers have marked them, and I go back and put 1 or 2 flags on the other sides of the head. I have employees aerating, so I am a little more cautious on marking. Mark other obstacles (sewer vents etc.) so you don't damage the aerator or the obstacle.

3. Mow Money Lawn Care

Mow Money Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

Great advice, thanks. Is this something you charge for if you do it?