1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns in the Franchising forum plus sign up to receive a FREE eBook on how to grow your landscape business.

Dismiss Notice

Aerators (what type do you use)

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by AlpineLandscpMaint, Mar 14, 2003.

1. AlpineLandscpMaint

AlpineLandscpMaint LawnSite Member

I am considering purchasing an aerator this year. I have a Lazer Z. Does anyone use the Jrco Hooker Aerator? What do you like and dislike about it?
    I service 8,000 sqft lawns up to 3-4 acre properties, solo... Does anyone use there Z to pull an aerator?

2. Lombardi

Lombardi LawnSite Senior Member

There was a thread about this a couple of weeks ago. You probably will get more info. by doing a search.
    If you want a pull behind, try the Brinley that Home Depot sells. I bought one last fall and have been very impressed with it. You should buy solid concrete blocks to put in the tray. I put 5 in. It pulls up about a 3" plug.

3. AlpineLandscpMaint

what are you pulling it with and what size properties do you have?

4. Lombardi

Lombardi LawnSite Senior Member

I pull it with a Polaris 400 ATV. Most of the properties are in the 8-10000 range. If I have smaller properties or ones with small gates I rent a WB but they beat the sh** out of you.

5. AlpineLandscpMaint

Did the search, looks like the Jrco is not a big favorite with Lawn Site regulars. I think the model you suggested would be a good start. A Lazer Z should be able to pull it fine. DO you ever get complants using a ATV on lawns?

6. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

I use a Lesco 48" pull behind. I'll add about 200lbs of weight in the tray. I pull it with a diesel Gator.

7. NCSULandscaper

NCSULandscaper Banned

For my larger yards i use a 36" pull drum type core aerator. For smaller yards i have a walk behind motorized plugger.

8. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

Here we go again...

9. UTM-PIKE

UTM-PIKE LawnSite Member

Just bought the Brinley from Home Depot as well, its in the shop waiting for tomorrow morning. Best $200 ever spent. The hooker aerator is better suited for sandier soils, as so I have been told since I brought up the same topic a couple of weeks ago.

10. AlpineLandscpMaint

Thanks to those who responded. I appreciate your advice. I am going to check out the Home Depot model this week. And to those who say "here we go again or just do a search" If everything has been discussed before, Lawnsite should just go to a all search format and no discussion forums. Thanks again.