1. Can’t make it to the GIE+EXPO 2017?
    LawnSite brings the trade show floor to your fingertips with our new GIE+EXPO 2017 Sneak Peek video series debuting now in the Lawn Mowing forum.

Dismiss Notice

aereating in the rain

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by adam5557, May 13, 2005.

1. adam5557

adam5557 LawnSite Member

Hey guys i am going to rent a aereator because i ahve 4 aereating jobs i need to get done.If it is raining will that affect the quality of my job?tthanks

2. marko

marko LawnSite Senior Member

As long as it is only damp and not sloppy. It will actually make it easier to pull the plugs

3. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Too much rain and you will have a muddy mess for sure.

4. jajwrigh

jajwrigh LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from Martinsville, IN

I agree with rodfather...I imagine it could be a real headache in the mud...

5. JarrodsDad

JarrodsDad LawnSite Member

Bring your rubber boots! :) :) :)

6. sildoc

sildoc LawnSite Silver Member

I will aerate just about any time. I prefer nice just mowed turf that was watered the night before but I will aerate in the rain in a heart beat. Now if it is pouring and I am rutting that is where I draw the line. No ruts roll on. It is definitly a mess though on the wheels of aerator and your shoes.

7. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

Any work on turf in the rain and in wet conditions damages the turf.You will be compacting the soil as you aerate it,you will make a muddy mess and it wont do the lawn a whole lotta good cuz your plug holes will fill up with surrounding soil and it's just not good lawncare .

8. easycareacres

easycareacres LawnSite Senior Member

yep good time to do it after a rain but if while rain can be good if hard surface soft.

9. Simmo's Total Turf

Simmo's Total Turf LawnSite Member

Don't do it mate. it will change the profile of the soil, thus creating more problems. i agree that hte soil should be moist, just b careful

10. sildoc

sildoc LawnSite Silver Member

Not sure what you are meaning profile of soil? There is no differance from aerating on a sunny day and then turning on the sprinklers as oposed to aerating in the rain.
    If you mean profile in that you are taking a solid surface and pulling thousand of little cores? That is what aeration is.
    We aren't talking about a drenched piece of turf where you are leaving ruts every where. Just rain.