Aerial mosquito spray (EEE)

GrassManKzoo

LawnSite Fanatic
Apparently this EEE virus is freaking everyone out in my area to the point where they are going to do aerial apps over a few counties, including mine starting at 8pm tonight. I don’t think it’s worth it this late in the season. Plus I own my own bug spray that I’ve been using every morning like cologne.

14 counties in Michigan conducting aerial spraying to prevent EEE
POSTED 12:27 PM, SEPTEMBER 27, 2019, BY KAYLA PENOKIE, UPDATED AT 01:25PM, SEPTEMBER 27, 2019

Eastern Equine Encephalitis (EEE) in Michigan, the Department of Health and Human Services and 12 local health departments will be doing aerial spraying to prevent further spread of the mosquito-borne disease.

Spraying will be conducted in the following 14 counties: Allegan, Barry, Berrien, Branch, Calhoun, Cass, Jackson, Kalamazoo, Kent, Lapeer, Montcalm, Newaygo, St. Joseph and Van Buren.

"When conducted according to strict regulations, aerial spraying is safe for people, animals and the environment," said Jim Rutherford, Health Officer with the Kalamazoo County Health and Community Services Department during a press conference. "Aerial spraying has been successfully used in the United States for decades to reduce mosquito populations.

Officials said the spraying will begin on at 8 p.m. Sunday. The spraying will be conducted by low-flying aircraft and should wrap up by 4:30 a.m. Monday.

"Mosquito-controlled professionals will apply approved insecticides as ultra-low-volume (ULV) spray," Rutherford said. "They will be using twin-engine planes traveling at 175 miles per hour, 300-feet above the canopy. The ULV sprayers dispense very fine aerosols droplets. The droplets are smaller than the head of a pin. They drift through the air to kill the adults mosquitos son contact."

Officials said during they recommend people who have known sensitivities to pyrethrins stay indoor to reduce potential exposure to the spray.

"There are further ways to reduce that risk and to provide that additional layer of reassurance," said Dr. William Nettleton, medical officer for both the Kalamazoo County Health Department and Calhoun County Health Department. "And that includes being inside, closing your window, turning off your air conditioning. These, and also considering bringing your pets indoors and covering your swimming pool."

The announcement comes as multiple schools have moved up the times of their sporting events and even cancelled their homecoming activities in an effort to limit mosquito exposure during dusk hours.

On Friday afternoon, officials released a specific county-by-county map of where the aerial treatment zones will be.

Officials said there have been nine human cases of EEE in six different counties throughout the state. Three of them were fatal. There's also been 27 animal cases as well.

People can reduce their risks by using bug spray with DEET, avoiding being outside at dusk, wearing long sleeve clothing, and getting rid of standing water on their property

jonthepain

LawnSite Bronze Member
"Mosquito-controlled professionals
Probably not a good strategy
"There are further ways to reduce that risk and to provide that additional layer of reassurance," said Dr. William Nettleton, medical officer for both the Kalamazoo County Health Department and Calhoun County Health Department. "And that includes...
turning off your air conditioning.
Wait, what? Why?

jc1

LawnSite Silver Member
It’s not uncommon in areas with sever mosquito issues. It will provide a quick knock down and reduce the potential for disease transmission.

grassguy_

LawnSite Senior Member
If weather conditions persist as they are and are expected for Sunday 8pm I’d be surprised they even try to spray.

RigglePLC

LawnSite Fanatic
If you work outside...protect yourself...use mosquito repellent. Don't get sick for 3 weeks.
In fact--now would be a good time to spray homes and yards for mosquitoes. Lots of people don't want their kids to play outside until a good frost.

ggb6259

LawnSite Senior Member
Heard they were spraying tonight.

I also have mosquito/tick proof clothing as I welt up when the female skeeters attack. I have two long sleeve shirts and since I have been wearing them, no bits around neck, hands in addition to covered torso. They were a tad pricey but I plan on buying a couple more plus socks. Brand I have is Gamehide.

kemco

LawnSite Fanatic
Our mosquito biz has picked up this year without any adverts. The warmish and wet winter didn't kill any to speak of. They have been severe here as well

OP
GrassManKzoo

GrassManKzoo

LawnSite Fanatic
Heard they were spraying tonight.

I also have mosquito/tick proof clothing as I welt up when the female skeeters attack. I have two long sleeve shirts and since I have been wearing them, no bits around neck, hands in addition to covered torso. They were a tad pricey but I plan on buying a couple more plus socks. Brand I have is Gamehide.
Last I heard it was completely canceled for my area (Kalamazoo/portage) enough people opted out so they decided it wouldn’t be effective enough to do