1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation about fertilization strategies for success with the experts at Koch Turf & Ornamental in the Fertilizer Application forum.

Dismiss Notice

Affordable 36 mowers?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing Equipment' started by whiffyspark, Jan 30, 2016.

1. whiffyspark

whiffyspark LawnSite Fanatic

From what I've researched snapper seems to be the cheapest. I'm not paying $5k+ for a 36 walk behind.

Hell I don't even care if it's belt drive. I've even looked at new husqvarnas for $3,500. What do you guys recommend?
    Posted via Mobile Device

2. ProStreetCamaro

ProStreetCamaro LawnSite Platinum Member

I have no complaints with our belt drive 36 Gravely. Belts slip some when wet but as soon as they dry out it has no issues. It even pulls my 270 pound butt on the velky just fine. Leaves a nice finish cut but will clump in wet conditions. I think we paid 2200 for it new. Has tons of power. Maybe to much power for a mower it's size.
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. Dirt Diver

Dirt Diver LawnSite Member

You can find 36" eXmark Metro's (belt) on CraigsList for $1,500 or less in great condition. Great mowers.
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. TX Easymoney

TX Easymoney LawnSite Platinum Member

A Cost effective mower is scags sw32 or 36 would be good choices...tough as nails. If your solo, I'd suggest a hydro or find a used one since you can work on equipment...it'll cost more but worth it.....kinda like a driving a Cadillac...less fatigue and going backwards is easy. My thinking is that if I wanted to maximize the number of yards in a day a d not be dead tired, I'd get the best equipment. I've done it with 21", troy built wb and then scag sw32, snapper 36 belt drive and later scag hydro adjustable and snapper hydro adjustable ..by far easier...but you can cut lots of grass with even a 32.wb

5. whiffyspark

whiffyspark LawnSite Fanatic

I'm just looking for cheap. I've been lookin for used for over a year but everything is beat to hell or not worth it

It's a limited use mower for a few areas. Hence I have no interest in spending a stupid amount of money on it to use it a few times a week.

I'm going to look at gravely. Who's our dealer prostreet? Lj etler is who we have
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. ProStreetCamaro

ProStreetCamaro LawnSite Platinum Member

My dealer is J David mullinix. They are real nice guys (farm boys). If you call ask for Mike.

http://www.mullinixandsons.com/

7. TPendagast

TPendagast LawnSite Fanatic
    Male

If you want to pay junk prices
    You're going to find junk available

The thing is in many cases, when it comes to belt drive mowers, junk is very very usable

If you want pretty paint and decals you'll pay for it
    But a belt drive is so simple even a teenager on weed can repair one and get it going

All they do is go and mow

If you're bored during the winter you can paint it what ever color you want
    Posted via Mobile Device

8. TFLE

TFLE LawnSite Senior Member

I have a belt drive toro proline 36 that I will sell you for $1,200. Great mower.

9. TFLE

TFLE LawnSite Senior Member

Floating Deck too. Pull start that starts every time.

10. TPendagast

TPendagast LawnSite Fanatic
    Male

Tbar or pistols?
    Posted via Mobile Device