Lawn Care Forum banner

Afraid to letter my mowing rig & other trucks

8K views 43 replies 34 participants last post by  DoetschOutdoor 
#1 ·
I'm afraid to be flashy and noticable with my trucks and equipment. I feel that ppl. from all angles are watching me, and will do something to hurt me and my business at the first opportunity they get. Not so much ppl I know it's the ppl that I don't know, or losely know that worry me.

I live in a town where the vast majority of the ppl are nobodys, and it seems like certian ppl. try to pry and ask a bunch of questions. I drive a nice truck during my personal time, and i get alot of looks from ppl. like "whats that young guy doing with a truck like that?" I feel like everything I do has to be low key, and low profile. While the "Italian boys" (No dissrespect) get to show off everything they have, like thier name plastered all over everything, and F-350 PSD's WITH 22" Chrome Wheels. I just feel like if I did that I would be asking for it.

Anybody else feel this way, like you gotta be careful how much publicity you and your business gets?

#4 ·
I know what you mean. My neighboors are always "spying on me" sorta speak. I dont think I would be afraid to advertise on my truck but I think I would worry about the other neighboorhood kids damaging or stealing my stuff. (it almost happened once)

I feel that my neighboors dont take my operation seriously and feel that I am just trying to "junk up" the neighboorhood. When I got my new (to me) 94 f250, my one next door neighboor came and said that I wasn't allowed to park commercial trucks in the neighborhood. (though 2 blocks away, some one who owns an ice company has 4 big freezer trucks in his driveway)
There was a landscaper who lived at the top of my street and he has a kubota tractor, 2 trailers, dump truck and the usual gear and the neighboors would always give him kind words and such. With me, everyone seems to be talking down on me and I really think its because of my age. Hopefully their opinions will change but I'm not expecting it to.

Jpocket, if you dont mind saying, how old are you. I'm 19 for the record.

#6 ·
If I could I would PLASTER my name all over my truck!!!

S C R E W what anyone else thinks or says!!!

One of these days, The name will run down the side of my truck!:usflag:

#8 ·
Im 20, and yes i do pay taxes. But for some reason I still feel the need to watch what i say and do in ALL the TIME

#11 ·
J&R Landscaping said:
I know what you mean. My neighboors are always "spying on me" sorta speak. I dont think I would be afraid to advertise on my truck but I think I would worry about the other neighboorhood kids damaging or stealing my stuff. (it almost happened once)

I feel that my neighboors dont take my operation seriously and feel that I am just trying to "junk up" the neighboorhood. When I got my new (to me) 94 f250, my one next door neighboor came and said that I wasn't allowed to park commercial trucks in the neighborhood. (though 2 blocks away, some one who owns an ice company has 4 big freezer trucks in his driveway)
There was a landscaper who lived at the top of my street and he has a kubota tractor, 2 trailers, dump truck and the usual gear and the neighboors would always give him kind words and such. With me, everyone seems to be talking down on me and I really think its because of my age. Hopefully their opinions will change but I'm not expecting it to.

Jpocket, if you dont mind saying, how old are you. I'm 19 for the record.
I could care less what my neighbors think, most of them understand. It's just when I go to a local small restuarant, ppl seem to want to pry and ask questions. I always feel the need to bite my tongue around these places. Never know when someone is going to take something i said and use it against me.

I also don't lie the fact that my personal truck is parked outside my house, and anyone who rides by now knows where I live. (i know I know, it sounds paranoid) but it's the truth ppl. know where I live just b/c my truck is parked in the driveway, and it wouldn't be too hard to find out where my shop is.

#12 ·
lawnwizards said:
are you afraid that someone might think something because of your race?
In a way yea...some young black guy doing good for himself. At 20 years old the sky is the limit. People might want to do something to put me out of business, b/c they are jealous. I live in a small city like town, when ppl. see you ridin around like some "hotshot" they may not like it.

#13 ·
Do you have insurance?

Then IF someone takes it to the level where they would damage/steal/vandalize your equipment, then you'd have a way to deal with that.

If they already know you're an LCO, then I can't see it making a huge difference if you've got lettering or not. If "they're out to get you", it's not going to matter either way.

I see a TON of LCOs around here with zero markings on anything. I know it's not right, but I automatically think illigit, non-tax-paying, loballing fly-by-nighter. And I know that is not the case with them all.

But I can't understand WHY anyone would not want a logo and lettering on their truck. It's advertisement. Thousands of people see your vehicle each week. Why not take advantage of that?

In addition, I just think it looks much more professional to have markings on the truck and trailer. JMO.

But yeah, I think you might be a little paraniod.

#14 ·
In MN, it's the law to have your name and city/state on the side of your truck with a height of no less than 3". It cannot be on the trailer alone, but it can be on the trailer as well.

You might want to look into that with your state's department of transportation, the commercial vehicles' department.

#18 ·
what you have is a personal issue with your own success or something along those lines.

Get over it.

The only thing you should be worried about with a lettered truck is your guys or you doing something stupid like parking it at the strip club or something like that.

Well that and getting a good design.

My advice, just do it. Any problems that come up, well that is what insurance and the cops (or a large caliber hand gun) are for.

#19 ·
Jpocket said:
In a way yea...some young black guy doing good for himself. At 20 years old the sky is the limit. People might want to do something to put me out of business, b/c they are jealous. I live in a small city like town, when ppl. see you ridin around like some "hotshot" they may not like it.
Well, I thought maybe you were talking about making yourself a "target" for others to come along behind you and lowball you. I had that happen to me and had to go stealth for a while... and I still do sorta keep a low profile in that respect. This is the main reason you don't see pictures of my accounts, my equipment, my rigs and myself plastered all over this site either.... and if I do post a pic I try to take ones where there are no landmarks, ect...

But now what you are talking about......
Well that's something totally different, and I tell ya, it just pizzes me off to even think that in this day and age people still have to feel concerned with this in this country. I don't know what makes people think there are 'color barriers' for careers and success. Who do people think they are? As long as a person is a legal citizen of this country earning a legitimate living, I don't think they should have to ever concern themselves with this crap.

Honestly, this is something that had never even entered my mind about this industry. I mean I know there is plenty of distain for non-english speaking illegal immigrants in this industry.... which has nothing really to do with race. But I never realized there was this sort of racism brewing out there. I mean I REALLY never even thought about it... and I'm mad now that I am.

I dunno.... from my perspective, I think "lettering up" could really go either way in your case. It could turn out to be nothing but a positive benefit to display to everyone what you do for a living to earn your status... but then again, I guess it could also be like putting a target on your back too.

For you to have to even think about this crap is such a shame....
Geez, past that I don't even know what to say.

:(

#21 ·
i am very confused at this point.
you are affraid that people will look down on you because you have a profitable buisness?

I don't understand why you wouldn't want to letter your truck, once i get my new truck, i'm getting a full vinyl wrap for it. as far as people seeing where you live, build a garage, get a security alarm, put up a fence, call the cops if you feel threatened.

#22 ·
for all you guys knocking, him grow the eff up! this is a legitimate question. it takes alot of guts to come on here with a question like hes posted with all the idiot biggots and racists on here. as far as your original question, how is your business doing without the lettered truck? if its doing good without then i wouldn't worry, but if you need to garner more customers then i would get it lettered and don't worry if you get a few nimrods calling you up.

i think we all get alot of bogus calls and you need to learn how to dicipher these calls and not put alot of stock in them. thats how i learned. you can never tell when someone is gonna have you come out and do an estimate and when you arrive, beat the living chit out of you just cause their jealous or stupid.

it happened to 2 tow truck drivers around here a couple of years ago. got a call that someone needed a tow, they went out guy got shot in the head a robbed. nows hes in a paralized state for the rest of his life.

#23 ·
Does not matter if your truck is a moving billboard or not.

Always do the best you can, be honest and within the law.

Hopefully your 'neighbors' will see you making plenty of trips to the bank depositing checks from satisfied customers.

#24 ·
lawnwizards said:
for all you guys knocking, him grow the eff up! this is a legitimate question. it takes alot of guts to come on here with a question like hes posted with all the idiot biggots and racists on here. as far as your original question, how is your business doing without the lettered truck? if its doing good without then i wouldn't worry, but if you need to garner more customers then i would get it lettered and don't worry if you get a few nimrods calling you up.

i think we all get alot of bogus calls and you need to learn how to dicipher these calls and not put alot of stock in them. thats how i learned. you can never tell when someone is gonna have you come out and do an estimate and when you arrive, beat the living chit out of you just cause their jealous or stupid.

it happened to 2 tow truck drivers around here a couple of years ago. got a call that someone needed a tow, they went out guy got shot in the head a robbed. nows hes in a paralized state for the rest of his life.
and that falls under the law of one. One time something happened. Which falls under statistically improbable so should be discarded.

If some fool wants to hurt you, they will do it with or without lettering.

I mean all I really have to do is talk to one of your clients and ask for your number as I want to have you do my property. the client will think they are doing you a favor and bam I now have your number and can set you up at will.

Just silly.

Go and letter the truck. If for no other reason than you will feel better about yourself and your business, looking professional and projecting an image.

Since I lettered mine up, many more people know who I am and look at me less like the lawn scum and more like a businessman.

I have 2 trucks fully lettered and my parent's 2 vehicles with magnets. people tell me they see my vehicles everywhere and I must be doing really good. Makes me smile.

#26 ·
get some magnets printed with your company logo on them and leave them on your truck while working for advertisment, but pull them off at the end of the day. advertisment when you want it

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.