Lawn Care Forum banner
21 - 40 of 44 Posts
i am very confused at this point.
you are affraid that people will look down on you because you have a profitable buisness?

I don't understand why you wouldn't want to letter your truck, once i get my new truck, i'm getting a full vinyl wrap for it. as far as people seeing where you live, build a garage, get a security alarm, put up a fence, call the cops if you feel threatened.

for all you guys knocking, him grow the eff up! this is a legitimate question. it takes alot of guts to come on here with a question like hes posted with all the idiot biggots and racists on here. as far as your original question, how is your business doing without the lettered truck? if its doing good without then i wouldn't worry, but if you need to garner more customers then i would get it lettered and don't worry if you get a few nimrods calling you up.

i think we all get alot of bogus calls and you need to learn how to dicipher these calls and not put alot of stock in them. thats how i learned. you can never tell when someone is gonna have you come out and do an estimate and when you arrive, beat the living chit out of you just cause their jealous or stupid.

it happened to 2 tow truck drivers around here a couple of years ago. got a call that someone needed a tow, they went out guy got shot in the head a robbed. nows hes in a paralized state for the rest of his life.

Does not matter if your truck is a moving billboard or not.

Always do the best you can, be honest and within the law.

Hopefully your 'neighbors' will see you making plenty of trips to the bank depositing checks from satisfied customers.

lawnwizards said:
for all you guys knocking, him grow the eff up! this is a legitimate question. it takes alot of guts to come on here with a question like hes posted with all the idiot biggots and racists on here. as far as your original question, how is your business doing without the lettered truck? if its doing good without then i wouldn't worry, but if you need to garner more customers then i would get it lettered and don't worry if you get a few nimrods calling you up.

i think we all get alot of bogus calls and you need to learn how to dicipher these calls and not put alot of stock in them. thats how i learned. you can never tell when someone is gonna have you come out and do an estimate and when you arrive, beat the living chit out of you just cause their jealous or stupid.

it happened to 2 tow truck drivers around here a couple of years ago. got a call that someone needed a tow, they went out guy got shot in the head a robbed. nows hes in a paralized state for the rest of his life.
and that falls under the law of one. One time something happened. Which falls under statistically improbable so should be discarded.

If some fool wants to hurt you, they will do it with or without lettering.

I mean all I really have to do is talk to one of your clients and ask for your number as I want to have you do my property. the client will think they are doing you a favor and bam I now have your number and can set you up at will.

Just silly.

Go and letter the truck. If for no other reason than you will feel better about yourself and your business, looking professional and projecting an image.

Since I lettered mine up, many more people know who I am and look at me less like the lawn scum and more like a businessman.

I have 2 trucks fully lettered and my parent's 2 vehicles with magnets. people tell me they see my vehicles everywhere and I must be doing really good. Makes me smile.

get some magnets printed with your company logo on them and leave them on your truck while working for advertisment, but pull them off at the end of the day. advertisment when you want it

Discussion starter · #27 ·
lawnwizards said:

My business is doing great, we turn down residentials every spring b/c we simply can't handle em.

My un marked trucks do we'll as I make up for it in other advertising.

Jpocket said:
My business is doing great, we turn down residentials every spring b/c we simply can't handle em.

My un marked trucks do we'll as I make up for it in other advertising.
i think you answered your own question right there. why waste money when you don't need too.:waving:

I have always felt the same way about lettering my truck. If you make one mistake out on the road like pulling out in front of somebody or hauling some @ss down a road or doing stupid stuff cause as soon as they see the logo and company it just gives them the impression that company is a bad company. Now if I had a company truck and then a personal I would letter one of them but for now no cause I still like driving like I stole that vehicle lol.

I think what jpocket is saying is that he is one of the "haves" in his neighborhood and the "have nots" tend to have a reputation of not liking a "have" showing off. The "have nots" are envious of him for doing something for himself and being a success and therefore may try to bring him back down to thier level by damaging or stealing what he has worked hard for. He is uneasy about lettering because that shows he has something and he is not afraid to work. I have been a cop for 10 years and have seen this happen. Unless you have seen it or live it, it is a difficult concept to understand. Good luck jpocket and it's good to hear your business is thriving!

I never have lettered my trucks, mainly to avoid tons of worthless estimates from people out of my normal area. Here were I live and work, I could find enough clients within a 5 mile radius of my house to keep 10 crews busy... I don't need someone from the other side of town driving by and seeing my number, to call me and bother me with requests for stuff too far away for me to go do.

Who knows, maybe it wouldn't hurt to have signage, but I have done just fine without it.

Yes letter your truck if you want to!

I understand that a young man doing ok does not want to draw too much attention to himself, might look like an easy mark to a bully. You are smart to see this. It is wise to not want to flaunt your success.

You young guys out there have to prove yourselves to this world. Make a good business image for yourself. Be friendly to everyone, be honest, and yes keep your eye out for trouble.

The are two reasons i dont have my truck lettered up (actually 3):
1. Just have one truck (personal and work)
2. Dont want kids at school to all know about my mowing business (got some not-so-good kids at my school)
3. If i happen to speed or do some other form of bad driving, i dont want the other people to know WHO it is, rather remain annomus.

MarkintheGarden said:
It is wise to not want to flaunt your success.
Just because you have your truck lettered does not mean you are "flaunting" anything. It's called advertising, and doing what you can to project a professional image.

I sort of know what you mean. I had similar experiences when I had my business up north. My advice move to Florida, no one here apologizes for success. I thought I really had it going on until I came here. Much larger playing field.

If you're parking at home in residential neighborhood, you better check with your local government first, usually zoning dept. They may have rules about it. I know around here, some busy-bodies will call zoning on you if they think you're operating a business from a residence. If yours has rules against it, you may want to think before labeling trucks. You could go with magnetic signs which would let you remove while parked at home.

Rizzo said:
I think what jpocket is saying is that he is one of the "haves" in his neighborhood and the "have nots" tend to have a reputation of not liking a "have" showing off. The "have nots" are envious of him for doing something for himself and being a success and therefore may try to bring him back down to thier level by damaging or stealing what he has worked hard for. He is uneasy about lettering because that shows he has something and he is not afraid to work. I have been a cop for 10 years and have seen this happen. Unless you have seen it or live it, it is a difficult concept to understand. Good luck jpocket and it's good to hear your business is thriving!
Somewhat similar situation where I'm at, just not as bad though. My problem is that the "have not's" like to take from the "haves". My only concern is advertising that I "have". As soon as I can, I will move from the neighborhood that "has not" and I won't be so worried about it. It's just that right now I'm still paying off all of their houses that they are renting from me.

For the most part, I feel that there really isn't much need in lettering the truck and/or trailer, unless you are wanting it to look even more professional. When you are out working, people see your truck and your trailer, and most often you on a mower! They know what you do, and where you are working at that given time. If they want an estimate, and they live in the area, they can stop and talk to you ... or ask for you card.

This isn't rocket science .. it is lawncare (for most of us on here). I see trucks and trailers with mowers all day long ... everywhere. And we know what it is they do.

Now if you want to do it for the image ... that is totally fine too. To me ... it's a personal choice ... and not something you "need" to do.

(and the magnetic signs work great)

:weightlifter:

Jpocket said:
I'm afraid to be flashy and noticable with my trucks and equipment. I feel that ppl. from all angles are watching me, and will do something to hurt me and my business at the first opportunity they get. Not so much ppl I know it's the ppl that I don't know, or losely know that worry me.

I live in a town where the vast majority of the ppl are nobodys, and it seems like certian ppl. try to pry and ask a bunch of questions. I drive a nice truck during my personal time, and i get alot of looks from ppl. like "whats that young guy doing with a truck like that?" I feel like everything I do has to be low key, and low profile. While the "Italian boys" (No dissrespect) get to show off everything they have, like thier name plastered all over everything, and F-350 PSD's WITH 22" Chrome Wheels. I just feel like if I did that I would be asking for it.

Anybody else feel this way, like you gotta be careful how much publicity you and your business gets?
You need to work on your self confidence or you are doomed to failure...

:confused:
Jpocket said:
Im 20, and yes i do pay taxes. But for some reason I still feel the need to watch what i say and do in ALL the TIME
You Need Some Serious HELP!!! ever try counseling. u need alot of it.
Just My Opinion...:confused: :hammerhead: :dizzy: Good luck with your paranoia. By the way... I know where you live...:cool2:

21 - 40 of 44 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.