1. Can’t make it to the GIE+EXPO 2017?
    LawnSite brings the trade show floor to your fingertips with our new GIE+EXPO 2017 Sneak Peek video series debuting now in the Lawn Mowing forum.

Dismiss Notice

Afraid to tear up the yard

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by qcontrol23, Jul 16, 2008.

1. qcontrol23

qcontrol23 LawnSite Member

I used a corer of my clients yard to stage dirt while i moved it from one point to another. Now im close to the bottom of the pile and am afraid of messing up the yard with the bobcat. Should i hand scoop and wheelbarrow it from here on out?? Then rake the area for clean-up afterward?? What is your suggestion?

2. WALKER LANDSCAPE

WALKER LANDSCAPE LawnSite Bronze Member

How long has it been sitting there?

3. qcontrol23

2 days...i have more coming later this week, would it make it easier if i put the load on a tarp?

4. White Gardens

White Gardens LawnSite Fanatic

A tarp will definitivly help. Hand rake the area as best as you can. When I get to the bottom I use a leaf blower to move the rest of the dirt away from the blades of grass just to help it get going again. It's dusty, but works.

Take it a step furthur when your done and throw down a little fertilizer and water it in to help it green up faster.

Also, two days isn't bad. I don't like leaving a pile for more than four.

5. KrayzKajun

KrayzKajun LawnSite Fanatic

very good advice!

6. Summit L & D

Summit L & D LawnSite Senior Member

You're going to be hard pressed to not have to do some repair work if you have been using a bobcat to scoop the pile. There is a good chance that you are going to be re-sodding some of it.

If I know that there will be turf damage, I figure the repair work into the original bid.

7. MarcSmith

MarcSmith LawnSite Fanatic

I have dumped on plywood before to help keep the clean-up easier... and maintain the scoobability...

8. qcontrol23

By dumping on plywood i wouldnt have to worry about tearing into the lawn as well!!!

9. qcontrol23

I havent been scooping into the yard just from the upper bottome of the pile up.

10. Hortus

Hortus LawnSite Member

Try to dump in a different spot and follow the previous posters advice to rejuvenate the original area.