After you started using your Magna-Matic did you see a cut quality difference....?

Exact Rototilling

LawnSite Fanatic
What sharpening method were you using before?

I admit I'm really good with an angle grinder and I use a "nail in the wall" plus a cone balancer combo. But I believe the process of blade sharpening will go quicker by a factor of 2 or 3x as fast? Maybe faster than that....4X+.

I put sharp baldes on daily and I need to speed this up.

.....and less blade material removed .... will last longer etc.
:waving:

RodneyK

LawnSite Senior Member
I was using angle grinder and ratchet wrench. Switched to Magna Matic and cordless impact. Cut time way down. And yes I think my cut quality improved. Hate doing that part of the job so speeding it up was money well spent.

Pietro

LawnSite Senior Member
We change blades daily on our 60's. We have a milkcrate filled with em. Takes maybe 1 Hr for a worker to sharpen them all. We usually go 3 weeks before the blades run out. The magna matic is WELL worth it when youre paying someone to sharpen the blades. It has def paid for itsself.

I use a bench grinder I bought from harbor for $40. IMO it does the job just fine. I'm sure a more expensive sharpener will get the job done quicker, but it doesn't take me that long with my bench and I can't justify spending $800 while I only change out a set every 3-5 days in the summer and every 2 weeks in the winter. I think it's a great buy for the larger ops that go through sets daily.
Posted via Mobile Device

jsslawncare

LawnSite Bronze Member
I use a bench grinder I bought from harbor for $40. IMO it does the job just fine. I'm sure a more expensive sharpener will get the job done quicker, but it doesn't take me that long with my bench and I can't justify spending $800 while I only change out a set every 3-5 days in the summer and every 2 weeks in the winter. I think it's a great buy for the larger ops that go through sets daily.
Posted via Mobile Device
I use to think the same thing until I got one. Brench grinder's are not for sharping blades.

I use to think the same thing until I got one. Brench grinder's are not for sharping blades.
Well, after I'm done the blades are sharp enough. I never get them razor sharp as that just takes off too much of the blade. The blades cut the grass just fine....I'm not debating that the MM or even Bradley? is far more superior than my bench, but for a small op such as myself, I can't justify the $800 tag of a blade sharpener. I'd rather spend that on a back up reel.
Posted via Mobile Device

larryinalabama

LawnSite Fanatic
I dont know much about the Magna, my Oregon set up is basically a grinder with the proper "bench" to rest the blade on. It keeps the angle you want and is faster than a bench grinder.

cgaengineer

LawnSite Fanatic
I use a bench grinder or an angle grinder to sharpen ours. Cheap and it gets the job done...the grass doesn't care what you use to sharpen the blades with...we could argue all day on the proper way to sharpen a rotary blade, but honestly if anyone wants to nit pick the only way to properly cut grass is with a reel mower.
Posted via Mobile Device