1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns in the Franchising forum plus sign up to receive a FREE eBook on how to grow your landscape business.

Dismiss Notice

Again this year

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by muddstopper, Aug 1, 2006.

1. muddstopper

muddstopper LawnSite Silver Member

Every year about this time i get to thinking about getting in the mowing business. i have posted on this subject a couple of times in the last year or two. Anyways. I keep seeing all this equipment for sale in the forsale area and keep telling myself, now heres a way to get everything at once. ( as you can tell, I have been trying to talk myself into this business venture) Now I realize its a little late in the season to start a mowing business, but maybe not to early to start looking for equipment for next season. I ran across a demo Toro ztr with 50 hr on it. Its has the Kubota diesel engine and 61inch turboforce deck. It would come with full warranty, same as a new. Since it is a demo, I can get it for $9700, his advertised price is $11,900.
    Now my question, Others here should know if the prices are pretty good and I need a ballpark figure as to what to expect to pay if I just bought the machine straight out, new, not a demo, if I was to walk into any dealer.

Just so you will know a little about why I am considering adding mowing to my other services.

I dont intend to be the one running the mowers, I already have employees to do that. I am mostly looking for a way to keep those employees busy. They keep working theirselfs out of a job and we have doubled in volume again this year. I figure they could mow one or two days a week and take care of my other business the rest of the time. And mowing would be a natural fit with my existing business. I also dont intend to take on every mowing account I can get. I would be concentrating on high end only, simply because i dont need the mowing to keep my other business going or to pay the bills. Hence the wide, big engine, mower. Two or three bigger properties a day is all I need. I know this doesnt make sense to some of you, but everybody walks to a different drummer.