Age and arthritis. Easier to remove deck? Easier cleaning of deck?

Kone

LawnSite Member
Residential w <2 acres. I own a fairly new Scag Liberty 52" w arthritis it's getting tough to keep underside of deck clean. Previously owned JD X580 which, all-in-all, was easier cause deck was easy to pull off. Other than the Simplicity tractors w the "Quick Hitch" system any other brands/models to look at? Or any other suggestions to help maintenance? I'd also like a bagger at some point. I like doing my own care so paying a service isn't direction I want to go yet. Thanks!

Youngandfree

LawnSite Fanatic
There is no real reason to pull the deck off to clean them IMO. Raise the front and support it with blocks or jack stands and clean that way.

If you have a pressure washer you can get a small undercarriage sprayer and slide under it.

JLH52

LawnSite Senior Member
Hustler makes a residential more with Flip-Up deck for easy cleaning. I've never seen one in action so I can’t comment on mower. I have no experience with the Hustler Residential line.

However I do run a Commercial Hustler Super Z Hyperdrive with Briggs Big Block 37 hp. EFI / 72” deck. I wish they offered flip-up deck design in their commercial mowers. I would purchase one immediately. I spend 30-45 minutes scrapping under deck after every mow. It's a real nightmare.

Grasshopper also has a Power Fold deck available on their Front Mount decks that would be another option you might consider.

OP
K

Kone

LawnSite Member
There is no real reason to pull the deck off to clean them IMO. Raise the front and support it with blocks or jack stands and clean that way.

If you have a pressure washer you can get a small undercarriage sprayer and slide under it.

Thanks, I've thought about the washer (even ordered/canceled one) but thought water and spindles don't mix?

JLH52

LawnSite Senior Member
Hit it with the leaf blower when you're done.

Leaf blower would only dry surface moisture, it would not remove any water that had possibly entered spindle bearings under the high pressure of a power washer.

With careful attention it would also be easy to use a power washer to clean under deck and not direct full pressure to spindle housing and bearings.

Bigg-Lenny

LawnSite Member
You may want to look into purchasing a MoJack Pro 750 XT. You can raise and lower your mower by using an impact wrench. I used to pull mine up onto a ramp, and it was a pita when cleaning the deck or changing blades. Now, it’s so convenient, and don’t mind changing blades for different properties now.

Bitches_Brew

Banned
Hustler makes a residential more with Flip-Up deck for easy cleaning. I've never seen one in action so I can’t comment on mower. I have no experience with the Hustler Residential line.

However I do run a Commercial Hustler Super Z Hyperdrive with Briggs Big Block 37 hp. EFI / 72” deck. I wish they offered flip-up deck design in their commercial mowers. I would purchase one immediately. I spend 30-45 minutes scrapping under deck after every mow. It's a real nightmare.

Grasshopper also has a Power Fold deck available on their Front Mount decks that would be another option you might consider.

All Country Clipper deck do this...

PLUS, you can drive it with one hand.

Larrysproject

LawnSite Member
Walker mowers, flip up deck and catches grass. I would like to have one, but just too pricey for my wallet. Nothing worse than scraping the deck.

Top Forums