Age requirement for...

Discussion in 'Digital Marketing' started by Marshall's Yard Service, Sep 12, 2019.

1. Marshall's Yard Service

Marshall's Yard Service LawnSite Member

Does anyone know if there is an age requirement to buy/own a website domain?
    Does anyone know if there is an age requirement to have an active website on the above mentioned domain?

2. kemco

kemco LawnSite Silver Member

Well considering u will need a credit card 18 maybe? And it's a contract so u would need to be of the age of majority. Just off the cuff thinking.

3. BigJlittleC

BigJlittleC LawnSite Fanatic
    from Chicago

I don't think there is any age restriction on buying a domain.

Just have to have a credit card to pay for it.

zlandman, Cam15 and That Guy Gary like this.
  4. That Guy Gary

That Guy Gary LawnSite Gold Member

No, I used to work for a registrar and hosting company and they don't care about your age.

Some may require you to sign a disclosure or agreement stating you are either an adult or guardian authorizing stuff but minors are welcome.

zlandman and Cam15 like this.
  5. That Guy Gary

It might be hard for a real kid to pull it off without help but any teen can work it out.

I had one brat who threatened to refund his domain if I wouldn't teach him how to set up IIS.

I was glad to, I was having a hard time finding a polite way to tell him to piss off that he would acknowledge.

Cam15 likes this.
  6. OP
    OP
    Marshall's Yard Service

Marshall's Yard Service LawnSite Member

I'm looking at starting simple and paying more in the future. I'm looking at buying a .com domain through Google Domains and using that domain for the tree website through my Google Business account. Possibly using Wix or Squarespace in the furture. I'm a very tech capable person and know some about website building.
    Having access to a credit card is easy, my parents will let me use theirs till I get my own.
    Any suggestions or advice as to why this plan is good, bad, or otherwise?

Cam15 likes this.
  7. That Guy Gary

Go for it.

If nothing else you gain experience and knowledge.

I don't see any bad repercussions it could cause.

8. BigJlittleC

BigJlittleC LawnSite Fanatic
    from Chicago

I agree.

Cam15 likes this.
  9. tonygreek

tonygreek LawnSite Platinum Member

I don't know of any registrars that don't have a minimum age of 18 requirement. Google, GoDaddy, Hover, Namecheap, etc all have a minimum age of 18 in their respective TOS's.

Each of those also has a section in the TOS re: "If you know of anyone who has provided false information re: their age, please let us know.". The easiest way to lose a domain registration is via falsification of records. There aren't many other ways to lose one.

That said, just get your parents to do it and then change the registration when you turn 18. It's like anything else that's business-related: You don't have much legal standing until you do turn 18.

hort101 likes this.
  10. tonygreek

tonygreek LawnSite Platinum Member

I know I keep telling you "Don't go with X", but I'm gonna do it again. :) Between the two, Squarespace is a good choice. Wix is not a good choice. From SEO to future migration out of, it's not a good choice. If you search the archives, you'll find quite a few posts on this topic.

It's a great idea. Since you're using their card, use their info for the domain registration. Make them the registrant/owner, put yourself and your info as the technical contact and you're on your way.

Cam15 and hort101 like this.