1. Maintaining Company Culture During Stressful Times

How do you maintain a positive company culture during a time of social distancing, economic uncertainty, and health worries? Click here to learn more.

Dismiss Notice

Agitator for small tanks

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by woodlawnservice, Feb 14, 2019.

1. AnotherOkie

AnotherOkie LawnSite Senior Member
    from Newalla

I was using a d252 on a Honda gx160 for that setup

woodlawnservice likes this.
  2. OP
    OP
    woodlawnservice

woodlawnservice LawnSite Bronze Member

U prob have alot more flow and volume than I can compare with on this setup with the electric pump I have on these..

3. AnotherOkie

from Newalla

Agree. On the atvs, used 4.9 gpm 12 volt pumps.

4. OP
    OP
    woodlawnservice

Right I've got the remco 5.3 on these setup... the mini conductor nozzle I had pushed a stream that was super powerful.... to much really I'd like to stream to not be as hard and little more volume per say .. I dont really wanna do the bilge route as that's more electrical wiring and I dont want anymore headaches with wiring and corrosion..

5. AnotherOkie

from Newalla

So, wouldn't just hose, with no restriction increase volume and reduce the pressure.

6. OP
    OP
    woodlawnservice

Yes it does, but not enough pressure to mix.... I've got 3/8" hose on it and I may be able to downsize it to 1/4 to get a lil more pressure but I'm still not sure if it's quite enough ... when running my prodimine ( like now) I always mix a slurry then dump into tank.. be nice if I could eliminate this and have enough agitation in tank to mix effectively. I've also dumped in tank and mixed with a paddle on a drill and works good, I'd like to just flip a control and let the machine do the work... take ones less step out

7. AnotherOkie

from Newalla

You could just switch to the 4L version of prodiamine instead of the 65 wdg. Well worth the little extra cost

8. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

It might be wise to try squirting into the tank with your spray wand. That will give you an idea if you have enough pressure. Screw the agitation nozzle onto your wand just as an experiment, so you can see if more pressure would help. Try the same with a garden hose--just for comparison with plain water. Not legal to use a garden hose to agitate tank if the hose goes under the surface. Air-gap is required.
    Also, you should not use 3/8 hose for your agitation line--use half-inch. Smaller hose is restrictive to the flow rate. Your gallons per minute may be less than 2 GPM. Check this by disconnecting the agitation hose and measuring the flow into a measuring container for one minute. Use a hundred pounds pressure for good agitation. You want a fat, high-pressure stream coming out of your agitation nozzle. Choose the larger disc size for most purposes.
    Also, be sure you have enough voltage going to the pump. Fat wires are better--heavy gauge. At high demand levels, ordinary wires have too much voltage drop, 11 volts is not enough.

9. OP
    OP
    woodlawnservice

I've have used this once.... I cant even remember what the additional cost per acre come out to

10. Digitaria Sanguinalis

Digitaria Sanguinalis LawnSite Senior Member

Without proper agitation Prodiamine 4L will still settle in short period of time. Is it better than the WDG yes but not by much.

I believe there is roughly a $8 increase per acre at the yearly max amounts. Of course it depends on your supplier.