1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation about fertilization strategies for success with the experts at Koch Turf & Ornamental in the Fertilizer Application forum.

    Dismiss Notice

Air compressor hose....

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by KenH, Aug 17, 2003.

  1. KenH

    KenH LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT
    Messages: 1,622

    I am looking to buy a new hose but wasnt aware of the different size diameters. What is the difference?? Will be used for air gun, tire fill, etc. They have 1/4", 3/8", 1/2", 3/4" and 1". These are all inside diameters. Thanks
  2. dvmcmrhp52

    dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.
    Messages: 4,205

    Depends on your fittings,But 3/8 or 1/2 are the most common.
    1/4 does not give you enough air flow in some cases.
  3. KenH

    KenH LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT
    Messages: 1,622

    Thanks. Would the different sizes depend on type/size of compressor??? I would imagine a 1" line would keep a smaller compressor on longer.
  4. the 1/2" ID might be needed for a trunk line to use more than 2 tools at a time.

    Anything bigger would be for jack hammers etc. They take a huge compressor.

    3/8" is most common. The 1/4" is for small tools like die grinders.

    Most of the quick connect couplers are 1/4" ID.
    You may need the kind which are 3/8" ID if you have a big 3/4" drive air impact hammer like the kind they use on semi's.

    The cheap poly hoses don't last very long. The better kind are the black rubber ones from Goodyear. The best are the red rubber ones from Goodyear.

    Don't forget the filter-regulator-lubricator. It should be located near the point of use if you're lubricating an air tool with the lubricator.

    Harbor Freight Tools is a pretty good source for air tool supplies.

    There's probably lots more I've forgot to mention.


Share This Page