1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns in the Franchising forum plus sign up to receive a FREE eBook on how to grow your landscape business.

Dismiss Notice

Air compressor won't run

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by tinman, Aug 1, 2005.

1. tinman

tinman LawnSite Bronze Member
    from ga

Air compressor won't run. Bought it used & Ran fine yesterday. ..... Unplugged it & ised air built up to run impact for about 45 seconds total.... put it on the box truck & today it will not do anything. Switch is on auto, wires look to be on...Any ideas?? Thanks

2. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Could be the pressure switch acting up, Did you use all the air in the tank ?

3. tinman

from ga

yes,,,,,thinking it would run out of air & kick ON,,, but it did not :angry:

4. Restrorob

There are so many different air compressors on the market today I don't have a clue as to what type pressure switch you have on yours. If it looks someting like one on a household water pump the contacts could be burnt and pitted as to fail making a good contact. You can try to bypass the switch just to run for a minute to make sure it isn't the motor then replace the switch if it works ok.

Btw; Are you trying to run this off a power inverter ? Think I seen another thread about doing so.

5. tinman

from ga

no,,, just running off house outlet...or trying to... :)

6. Restrorob

Well try to bypass as I suggested and see if thats the problem.

7. tinman

from ga

8. fixer67

fixer67 LawnSite Silver Member

Now this may sound silly but is the outlet working? Had a man last summer bring one in and I plugged it up and it ran just fine. He takes it back home and it will not run so he brings it back again. And once again I plug it up and it runs just fine. He is hopping mad at this point. I asked him did he plug something else in the outlet to make sure it was working. It turned out he had tripped the breaker. Sounds dumbs I know but your would be surprised how often that type of thing happens.

PS=some compressors have breakers on the unit itself. A push button type breaker.

9. Metro Lawn

Metro Lawn LawnSite Silver Member

This may help. Many air comp. draw too much power to be used with extension cords. I had one that would not work unless it was plugged in to the outlet. The resistance through an extension cord caused it not to run. We run ours off of a generator that is also in the trailer.

10. arborist-28

arborist-28 LawnSite Member

that is what i was thinking you lose alot of powert through an extension cord ...c