Air compressor

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Kitman, Nov 7, 2018.

1. Kitman

Kitman LawnSite Member

I'm looking for recommendations for a new air compressor. I'm switching to vertical style and only use it for blowing off equipment and filters and occasionally loosening lug nuts or blades.
    What brand and model do you use?

2. dieselss

dieselss LawnSite Silver Member
    from NWI....

Biggest one you can afford and wire into your shop. 220 is better then 110

JLSLLC likes this.
  3. BigFish

BigFish LawnSite Platinum Member

What he said. You might wanna consider gettin a two stage unit. The only kind worth buyin IMNSHO. I gots a 60 gal. Vert. two stage 220v Craftsman unit. Has worked great fer 17 years now. Look, u might be happy with a smaller unit, lots of people are...but if yer serious 'bout wrenchin...

Walker56 likes this.
  4. Eric502

Eric502 LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from Kentucky

I was originally looking at an ingersol rand two stage. But i dont use a compressor enough to justify the expense. Currently i am entertaining a lowes kobalt 60 gal two stage, it has a blue tank. The specs are impressive for the 500 buck price tag.

Walker56 likes this.
  5. BigFish

Hey, that unit should work fine fer ya. I haven't perused the specs/info, but just make sure it has cast iron cylinders /liners. Ya should be fine. I think mine has alum. crankcase and cylinders with cast iron liners.
    That's about all I paid fer my Craftsman unit back when my 50 year old Kellog-American died.
    Put it on yer Lowes card and save ya 5% , enough to pay the sales tax , right?

Eric502 and Walker56 like this.
  6. Rockbridge Lawn Care LLC

Rockbridge Lawn Care LLC LawnSite Senior Member

I'm in your shopping boat 2 years ago. probably the same model 2-stage cast iron 220v kobalt unit 60 gal. heavily used it to frame the basement an addition on the house (aka the mower shop) deck and shed, re surface the cabinet doors with an orbital sander with HVLP and gravity guns and some trailer/mower re-paints and breaking up the front steps with a chisel...of course also everything a 3/8 and 1/2 impact gun is used for too

solid work horse

Eric502 and BigFish like this.
  7. BigFish

Yeah, a cast iron two stage is the only way to go.

8. Eric502

Eric502 LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from Kentucky

In the notes, they spec the cylinders of that kobalt unit for 10,000 hours. Rebuilds availible also. Just not sure where.