Lawn Care Forum banner

air filter getting wet with oil

1K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  ducky1 
#1 ·
hey folks

i have a kohler command 25 that is blowing oil onto the air filter.the engine runs smooth and seems to have no loss of power.ive been told that one of the rings is probably cracked.does this sound right? the engine is not smoking either.any input would be much appreciated.

#2 ·
This can happen if you have too much oil in the engine. It can also happen if the rings are going bad. Does it smoke? Your PCV valve could be stuck. I would do a "leak-down" test if it came into my shop.

#3 ·
it doesnt smoke that i can tell.when i bought the mower the oil was showing on the safe mark but looked like it hadnt been serviced in a long time.the mower had 1200 hrs on it when i bought it. i didnt know it had a pvc valve on it but then again im not the brightest light in the house when it comes to engines.

#4 ·
Check to make sure the air filter is clean too. If it's soaked with oil and/or dirty, it will suck more oil.

As Fixer67 says, the crankcase breather (PCV valve in autos) could be sticking. It's supposed to maintain a vacuum in the crankcase. If it leaks or remains open, oil will be pushed into the intake stream. With 1200 hours on the engine, that's probably what's causing the "oil injection".

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.