Votes: 0 0.0%
  • just let em go and replace as needed

Votes: 5 17.2%
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what are your thoughts on cleaning out air filters with compressed air? I know a lot of guys who say never to do it, that it can cause damage to the paper element, which i completely understand. But i also know people who use air and who always have used air with great success and it has never caused them problems. I have heard to just tap them on your hand or blow with your mouth too. What are your thoughts?

·
Registered
52 Posts
I'll tell you this. Have a Lesco with a 15 Kawasaki. Always heard not to use the air compressor to clean the filters. One afternoon while servicing the mower, I realized I was out of air filters, so I tried the compressor on it. Worked well. Put it back on. Week later got my new filters in and went to change it. What did I find? A bunch of dust, dirt and grime in the carb. No telling how much damage may have been done, the engine still runs fine. But I had to clean the carb and change the oil and filter.

Also I didn't blast the filter hard. The pressure regulator is set to 90psi and I didn't put the gun right next to it either. I did check for tears and didn't see any but there must have been one.

Now I tap them out with my hand and wash the prefilter and change both when bad.

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
i use compressed air, but i only clean the foam filter part. i spray the foam filter that wraps around the air filter with WD40 and that collects all the dust, dirt and debris being sucked in. the air filter is like new everytime i clean it, which is weekly or more often if its dusty out. this past week i even washed with the garden hose the foam filter, let it dry in the sun, put it on the air filter, sprayed with WD40 and good for another week. work good for me.

·
Banned
7,474 Posts
you should use a foam filter oil, not WD-40. I can't give you the exact reason but I was told a few years back that WD-40 can harm certain materials. K&N filter oil will work fine or stop in a local motorcycle dealer and grab a can of PJ-1. The WD-40 won't last near as long as the other oils.

·
Registered
2,184 Posts
I wash my two cycle with water and reoil with bar and chain oil. Much better than WD40. The air filter on the walker is round cylinder type. Fits on the end of the redmax perfectly. on low idle, the air flows in reverse and pushes the dirt away. Works very well and no dirt residue on the inside at the next change. Been doing this since week one. 3200 hours on the engine with no trouble. I would think that full throtle would be a different story. Walk behinds just get new filters once a year as these see much less work. Hope this heps.

·
Registered
6,539 Posts
I use air for the foam precleaners, of course. Washing them out with soap and water is just too messy and time consuming for what they cost, if they are that bad toss it and grab a new one. I also use the K&N filter oil for them, works awesome, don't have to get my hands covered in oil.

For the paper elements, well I use compressed air for those too. Just take it easy, don't get too close or use a full force blast of air. As long as it's still white and clean looking it's good to go. Once it starts looking dingy I know that the dirt has gotten into the paper and cant' be blown out. time for a new one.

Buy NAME BRAND filters. My Walker dealer, for some strange reason, only sells these CHINESE JUNK filters instead of Kohler filters. I notice soon that the inside cotton filter (on the Donaldson type filters) is getting dirty. No longer buying filters from them!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.