Air Force Bid Request Help - 1.5 Acre Brush & .5 Acre Clear Cut

Discussion in 'Tree Climbing, Pruning, Felling' started by RonUPM, Apr 27, 2017.

1. RonUPM

RonUPM LawnSite Member

Hello, we are bidding against 5 other companies for this landscape job and the bid is due 5/1. I was hoping we could get some input from you guys to help ensure our bid is reasonable but lowest (lowest bid will win, sadly.)

There are two sections on the property that need to be treated. Both are on steep slopes, can not get any brush hog or equipment on the slopes. I will be posting a video and some photos below and detailing each section and the scope of work.

These are the two sections. Brush clearing on left, clear cut on right. I don't know if we can increase our bids being a government area. We have strict requirements, can only work during business hours, anyone working on site must be background checked, must have cage code and be a SAM Vendor.

[​IMG]

SECTION 1

• Size: 1.5 Acres, sloped.
    • Scope 1: Remove all brush and undergrowth to ground. Can chip and leave chips on site.
    • Scope 2: Remove approximately 10 trees ranging from 12"-18".
    • Video -
    Estimate Total - $6,200
    Remove undercut from approximately 1 1/2 acre of sloped land - $5,000
    Remove 10-12 small to medium diameter trees - $1,200

Section 2

• Size: .5 Acre
    • Scope 1: Clear cut all trees in area to provide better line of site. Approximately 70-75 trees, mostly pine around 14"-20". Approximately 3 large oak trees with 3ft diameter and one large poplar approximately 3.5ft diameter. Stumps can remain on site but must be cut very close to ground. Rest of debris must be removed. These are on a medium slope.
    • Photos: http://imgur.com/a/G2Rof
    Estimate Total - $22,500
    Remove approximately 75 trees from selected area which is approximately .5 acre. $250/tree - $22,500

chrome_2017-04-27_00-23-39.jpg

2. stringfellohawk

stringfellohawk LawnSite Senior Member

Describe your planned process for this.

Does the video decrease the perceived steepness of the slope?

What equipment do you have?

How accessible is this place?

Any weird rules about driving under drip edges?

Can you get a CTL in there? I'd forestry mulch as much as I could if it's not too steep. That'll kill three birds with one stone: get rid of the brush, create a working space, and stabilize the soil. That second slope looks like you could hardly walk on it, so that's all hand work unless you have an excavator with a mulching head. After mulching, it'll look a million times better.

How many people will you have on site and what will they be doing (laborer, equipment operator, etc)?

What are you going to do with the timber once it's on the ground? Chip it all? Haul some wood off?

It's tougher going off of pictures and videos, but I'll help any way possible.

3. wheatus

wheatus LawnSite Bronze Member

Is this a federal contract or would you be subbed out under a primary contractor??

First off, do you even meet the requirements making you eligible to bid? If you do not currently have a SAM number, you aren't getting one by the bid date.

You bid is very low.

RDALawns likes this.
  4. OP
    OP
    RonUPM

RonUPM LawnSite Member

Federal contract. The clear cut side can be accessed by a trail where equipment can fit but equipment can't get in deep. The undercut brush side is too steep, hard to walk but there is access at the top and bottom.

We have a ton of other work so the pricing on this job will dictate how many people I send here. I can probably kill it in 1 1/2 week with 3 guys. My plan was to mulch the small stuff and haul out the trunks. Thanks for your help! The video might make the slope seem less steep.

5. wheatus

Do not underestimate the administrative costs of doing business with the federal government.

RDALawns likes this.
  6. RDALawns

RDALawns LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from Texas

I don't like doing government work. But it can be profitable. ;)

Cam15 likes this.
  7. OP
    OP
    RonUPM

RonUPM LawnSite Member

We are a SAM vendor. You state.my bid is low, can you please let me know what you would bid? I don't usually have a lot of bid competition. I do a lot of general maintenance and property management which means we have exclusive contracts to ha for everything ourselves.

hort101 likes this.
  8. wheatus

We do government work and are billing ~$800-$3200 per tree for removals.

9. OP
    OP
    RonUPM

RonUPM LawnSite Member

Wheatus, wouldn't you give a discount for bulk?

10. wheatus

No. Why would you? Especially for a customer that is as difficult to work for as the government.

chris6439, Mdirrigation and RDALawns like this.