Alabama certification

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by matthewkil, Feb 5, 2007.

  1. matthewkil

    matthewkil LawnSite Member
    Messages: 15

    i currently have an ornamental and turf pest control(OTPC) permit in the state of alabama from my years as a golf course superintendent. i was wondering if there is a different permit required now that i am selling pest control services through my lawn business or will my current permit suffice. i have tried to contact the right people at the Alabama Dept.of Ag. but it usually takes more time than i've got to wait on an answer from the government.

    Any help??
  2. AUHort1990

    AUHort1990 LawnSite Member
    Messages: 137

    I believe as long as you have the OTPC Supervisor permit you are all right.
  3. LLandscaping

    LLandscaping LawnSite Bronze Member
    Messages: 1,016

    I have the OTPS license. How is it different from the OTPC license?
  4. matthewkil

    matthewkil LawnSite Member
    Messages: 15

    that's what i'd like to know. i don't think they are that different but i don't they are both sufficient. i don't know for sure though, sorry.
  5. LLandscaping

    LLandscaping LawnSite Bronze Member
    Messages: 1,016

    I found my state license requirements sheet.

    Ornamental & Turf Pest Control: Commercial
    This category includes pest control in maintenance and production of ornamental trees, shrubs, flowers and turf on a fee basis.

    Ornamental & Turf Pest Control: Custodial
    Applicators in this category apply pesticides to ornamental and turf as a responsibility to an employer. Examples of custodial applicators are golf course superintendents, park maintenance personnel and supervisors, cemetery maintenance personnel, custodians of other public area.

    According to this I have the first license and you have the Custodial license. I guess you will have to check with the Dept of Ag and see what to do.
  6. LawnNeedz

    LawnNeedz LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 580

    Im pretty sure that you have to have the OTPS certification to charge for services. I think that the OTPC is when you are doing applications for a place such as a golf course or sod farm. I have always had better luck sending them an email with my questions and they seem to respond fairly quick considering there government workers. I hate having to play the phone game with them.

    Good Luck.
  7. ktmmedic

    ktmmedic LawnSite Member
    Messages: 10

    OTPS is for when you charge for your service.
    OTPC is when the service is part of your job description with an employer.

    Just got my OTPS and this the way it was explained to me.
  8. AUHort1990

    AUHort1990 LawnSite Member
    Messages: 137

    Sorry...I meant the OTPS. I was monentarily confused. You need the OTPS license. ktmnedic is correct in that the custodial license can only be used at your employers work place.

    As for sending them an email I wouldn't count on that either. I sent one 3 weeks ago and never heard back.
  9. shannonblocker

    shannonblocker LawnSite Member
    Messages: 40

    so with a otps license u can work for ur self and charge correct in alabama
  10. bamaturf

    bamaturf LawnSite Member
    from alabama
    Messages: 136

    OTPS is supervisor for profit & have people working for you

    OTPC is custodial for working only at 1 place , like a school etc

    different test for each

    thats the way the state explained it to me

    hope this helps

Share This Page