1. Can’t make it to the GIE+EXPO 2017?
    LawnSite brings the trade show floor to your fingertips with our new GIE+EXPO 2017 Sneak Peek video series debuting now in the Lawn Mowing forum.

Dismiss Notice

Alarm for trailer

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by unkownfl, Jul 24, 2009.

1. unkownfl

unkownfl LawnSite Gold Member

Is anyone using a alarm for there trailers? I was thinking of putting a battery inside. I have a 6x12 enclosed trailer and about 10k in equipment that I would like to keep safe. The only thing I have going for me is neighbors. I already chain the trailer to the ground and have good locks on it, but a alarm sure would help me sleep when I go on a cruise next month.

2. South Florida Lawns

South Florida Lawns LawnSite Platinum Member
    from usa

Dude no one pays attention to alarms going off anymore. If I were you I'd be putting Lo Jack on that trailer.

3. Az Gardener

Az Gardener LawnSite Gold Member

Do what you want, if they want it your toast. Friend of mine recently had someone take a sawzall to his trailer, they came right through the side. I back my ramp up against a bunch of stuff so you can't open the door a wall would work better. I park so tight to my shop that you can't get in the shop or trailer door I park the next trailer the same way with less than a foot between so you cant get to that door either. But they can still cut through the side if they wanted. A big steel pole cemented in the ground would also do the trick.

4. ProMo

ProMo LawnSite Bronze Member

I had equipment stolen from my trailer 2 times last month and I am installing an alarm system that has door sensors, shock sensors, tilt sensors and if they try to take the trailer it will lock up the brakes. It has a gps option but there is a monthly charge as well as the gps component. The unit has a 12v battery and is charged by a solar panel on top of the trailer. The company that makes them has worked out a solution for working while the ramp is open by hitting a toggle switch to turn off the door sensors and activate a motion sensor.

5. ProMo

almost finished with install have to wire to brakes an install the motion sensor.

6. rlitman

rlitman LawnSite Bronze Member

Do you have an alarm system in the building next to where its parked.
    If so, you could put a wireless motion sensor inside, and if someone gets in, it would alert the central station monitoring. Those things have surprising range.

7. ProMo

I have thought of hooking up a device to spray pepper gas onto my alarm system but I need to make sure I dont get myself