All opinions and advice welcome... I need help.

Discussion in 'Bidding, Estimating and Pricing' started by Phillip Drewery, Jun 14, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Phillip Drewery

Phillip Drewery LawnSite Member

I have been approached to bid for a city (small town) to mow their over grown (8 inches) lots including residential and commercial.

6 square miles of commercial and residential property and I want to won the bid. This town is 15 minutes from my house. I am new to the business aspect of mowing but very experienced on how to do the work.

My preference is the total lump sum bid.

Basis of BID: Bidder will complete the Work in accordance with the Request for Proposals for the following price(s). The Town of recognizes that not all overgrown lots will be similar by nature (i.e. size of lot, extent to which lot is overgrown, etc.). Therefore, Bidder is afforded an opportunity in the bid proposal below to denote certain thresholds based on such factors. However, Bidder may choose to submit one

Ways to bid...
    TOTAL UNIFORM LUMP SUM BID AMOUNT (This option does not distinguish between lot size and extent to which lot is overgrown and other such factors):$ _______________________ TOTAL IN WORDS: ____________________________________________________
    TOTAL LUMP SUM BID AMMOUNT (for each quarter (¼) acre): $_________________________ TOTAL IN WORDS: __________________________________________________________
    TOTAL LUMP SUM BID AMMOUNT (for each quarter (¼) acre with grass/vegetation in excess of _______________feet and __________ inches): $_______________________________________ TOTAL IN WORDS: _____________________________________________________________
    TOTAL HOURLY RATE AMOUNT (for removal of excess trash and debris from work site): $______________________ TOTAL IN WORDS: _______________________________________________________

2. Delmarva Keith

Delmarva Keith LawnSite Senior Member

Is there a question somewhere in your post that I’m missing?

3. Cam15

Cam15 LawnSite Silver Member

How much should he charge.

4. Delmarva Keith

Delmarva Keith LawnSite Senior Member

Oh, he should charge enough to make a profit and cover contingencies. What’s his cost structure?

dieselss, Cam15 and Phillip Drewery like this.
  5. ShowCaseLawnCare

ShowCaseLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member

Pass usually this work doesn’t pay good and to many hoops to jump through to get paid and your equipment will be over worked.

MattZ28, Jeff@diyokc, kemco and 2 others like this.
  6. OP
    OP
    Phillip Drewery

My question is how much should I charge?

7. Cam15

Cam15 LawnSite Silver Member

Told ya.

dieselss and Delmarva Keith like this.
  8. kemco

kemco LawnSite Silver Member

Going to go backwards on this. $80 per person/worker per hour:. For each 1/4 acre in excess of 6" = $60 (sixty dollars u.s.): for each 1/4 acre not exceeding 6" $40 (forty dollars u.s.): total lump sum I do not have enough info to do that from this post.

Doc8406, Cam15 and Phillip Drewery like this.
  9. OP
    OP
    Phillip Drewery

Its either bid per 1/4 acre or lump sum. I can tell you the town limits is 6 square miles and anything above 8 inches in that 6 square miles will have a work order sent out for me to mow. There are no specific properties (yet) b/c it will be as the property within the town limits exceeds the code of 8 inches. But I must remove all trash and debris prior to mowing and they want an hourly bid on trash/debris removal. Would your quote go up for 8 inches?

10. kemco

kemco LawnSite Silver Member

Trash debris removal would be the $80 an HR. At 8" yes I'd go up a little more... You are now talking bushhogging or double to triple cutting unless the muni doesn't car what the finished product looks like.

Doc8406, Cam15 and Phillip Drewery like this.