All opinions and advice welcome... I need help.

Discussion in 'Bidding, Estimating and Pricing' started by Phillip Drewery, Jun 14, 2019.

Tags:
  1. OP
    OP
    Phillip Drewery

Phillip Drewery LawnSite Member

Kemco thank you

2. MattZ28

MattZ28 LawnSite Member

This is the truth... I spent all winter bidding on this kind of work and they all went to companies sooooooo low i mean 10s of thousands in some cases lower than the next bid low. I don't know how any of these companies make any money.

3. Kulik Lawn

Kulik Lawn LawnSite Member

When you do work for the County or local city...You will be breaking equipment left and right. Bid that job like the job will suck, because it will. Hour for Hour, dollar to dollar, stick to easy cuts that dont beat you and your equipment up. What good is it to make a bit more then a standard Resi cut, when you just trashed a mower worth thousands..Just my 2 cents.

kemco likes this.
  4. kemco

kemco LawnSite Silver Member

This is why I am now 100% residential. I don't know how to make money anymore on commercial. Obviously there's a way otherwise no one would be doing it. But I'd rather keep a tight crew and route, pay employees well, and hope turnover is very low.

Kulik Lawn likes this.
  5. Kulik Lawn

Kulik Lawn LawnSite Member

That is how I roll too....It seems some guys try to be everything to everyone, and lose focus. Plenty of real cash in Resi's...

kemco likes this.
  6. Mattmowsgrass

Mattmowsgrass LawnSite Member

I'd say 1 million. if they yes, your a millionaire. if they say no, well, you'll probably be better off.
    I used to do this with a company I was with at the time, city paid 18 per house. but grass has to be like 3 ft tall, the city doesnt like to pay, the require before and after pics. problem is that company is bound by contract now, and cant quit.

Kulik Lawn and MattZ28 like this.
  7. Charles

Charles Moderator Staff Member

We had one guy on here who had to mow around dead bodies. Be careful out there:laugh: I don't think anyone can tell you what to charge for something like this. Just guess and hope for the best since you have no experience mowing city property. You will definitely get some experience if you win the bid . Maybe some bad experience. Help you in your next bid

MattZ28 likes this.
  8. MattZ28

MattZ28 LawnSite Member

Dead bodies!? What was the story behind that??

9. Charles

Charles Moderator Staff Member

Allegedly he mowed city property and occasionally had to mow around dead bodies

10. MattZ28

MattZ28 LawnSite Member

Using the trimmer to edge around leaving a chalk line like outline in the grass? What kind of a town/pd wants a maintenance sub anywhere near a body?