1. Is Landscaping An “Essential Business” In Your Region?
    Read the timely article from Turf addressing this question. Click here to learn more.

COVID-19 Safety Procedures For Landscapers
    As you are working out in the field, maximize safety for you, your crews, and customers. Click here to learn more.

Dismiss Notice

All the bids are in.....and for the results>>>>

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by KirbysLawn, Jul 24, 2000.

1. Scraper

Scraper LawnSite Bronze Member

Kirby, Wish I could find suckers like you can! You're charging them for mowing when you aren't even mowing? Your principle may make sense in your mind, but not in the mind of most customers. When I first read your post about yearly billing, I thought you'd break down the 34 cuttings and spread over 12 months. Your last post states you're charging for 4 cuts a month for 12 months for a total of 48? Am I getting this right? You're math shows it that way. I wish there were suckers up here in PA like you have down there in NC then we both could get richer faster! :) Don't the people get it that if the other service is charging $25/cut that they would be only paying close to $900/yr as opposed to your $1440? Sorry, but I just don't get how you can pull it off.

2. Charles

Charles Moderator, Friend, Angel

Charles<----now putting 357 to his head to let out some of this "important" information BOOM!!! Missed---dammit

3. thelawnguy

thelawnguy LawnSite Silver Member

&quot;...and I bill $120.00 a month for mowing. $120.00 x12 months = $1440.00 OR $42.35 a mow.&quot;<p>Y'know, you remind me of the guy a few months back who asked for bids on a dirt pile job then got ticked off when he kept changing the specs and got called on the carpet for it. You are NOT getting 42 a mow, you are getting 30 a mow and 30 during the off season to give the lawns a hiyawatha. I agree with scraper too bad there arent fish like that up here in connecticut. But on the other hand, if we tried a scam like that word would get around so fast, that 4 door pickup would soon have a light bar on the roof and a D.A.R.E. decal on the doors ;)<p>Bill<br>

4. Charles

Charles Moderator, Friend, Angel

Maybe if I move the 357 to degrees to the right and divide by 12 and account for the long months then grease the cylinder and squeeze the trigger at a slower pace and not duckbecauseiamachicken........

5. BRL

BRL LawnSite Bronze Member

Charles, thanks for my LOL of the day!

6. Dale

Dale LawnSite Member

Ray,<p>I just didn't want to mouth off without putting my bid in. Some guys make it way to complicated. Not a thing wrong with getting paid all year long for full service or mowing, it really does not matter.<p>I think you made it quite clear in the beginning. Thats the probelm with billing by the service. All our inclusive services have a specific or mininmum number of services. We do not blanket apply chemicals. We utilize an IPM approach. I want consistent cash flow in Dec Jan as May and June. I never lose money on maintenance,just make a little less profit in summer and a hell of a lot more in winter. Keeps the key personell and lease payments made.<p>jaclawn,<p>we track every minute and supply that goes in to an account. If the accounts cancel before we recover costs and profit on that portion of the job, it is written right in to the contract,that they will pay for all services to date. So the March start up that tries to cancel in October is still going to pay for every freaking hour we were there when they cancel. We expalain that right up front, and have them intinal the paragraph. Have not had a problem with that in 3 years.<p>Publish a set of specification and have them bid off that. Can't get much simpler.

7. Parrot

Parrot LawnSite Member

8. OP
    OP
    KirbysLawn

KirbysLawn Millenium Member

Dale and Charles, I agree with your comments!<p>Bill, your right. I will convert to billing by the cut, and I will start my letter now.<p>Dear Mr. Bill, <p>Starting next month I will stop billing you on a monthly basis and will charge you on a visit-by-visit basis and invoice you at the end of the month. I will be charging you $30.00 per visit for the mowing services, any additional service will be billed as usual.<p>Please call me if you have any questions or concerns.<p>Best regards,<p>Ray Kirby<p>Now maybe I can join you and Stone in Florida and go sailing and have a drink! Man I'm excited about all this extra time I will have and no more pinecones, woohoo!<p>Oh no, wait a minute......I just cost myself over $22,000 in lost revenues! I guess I will try mowing over 26 more lawns at $25.00 to make up the difference, darn I won't be able to make it to Fla., I'll be dead! But hey, I won't be getting screwed, right?<p>Serious guys, I usually sell my services as a package, mowing and fert, I figure my mowing and fert charges and give them the bid. It works fine for me, but again, I do it as a package $120 for the mowing and $15.00 for the fert for this example. I have monthly customers ranging from $130.00-$300.00 that pay 12 months a year for the package. I have yet to have anyone show me where I'm getting screwed as stated earlier in this post, and that was what this discussion escalated from.<p>Try this, next time you go to a lawn to bid and you really don't want it, bid $whatever per month, year round. If the take it you have a deal, if not you've lost nothing! I do have a few pay by the mow lawns, they are my least profitable lawns. Maybe its like the Rent-A-Center, people pay more in the long run, but they like the lower payments??<p>That's it for me, I've had enough of this subject. Thanks for the post, now where's my HK? :)<p>Ray

9. Toroguy

Toroguy LawnSite Bronze Member

little green guy,<br>I would not exceed 1000mg of ibuprofin at a time. I was recently stung by a hornet, had a reaction and took to many antihistamines, and had quite a buzz (no pun intended) going.<p>As for this convoluted thread...bill and price as you please. Kirby was just sharing his information.

10. goose

goose LawnSite Member

Go back and read Dales post and he hit the nail on the head. We do about $20,000 a month all 12 months. We could bill for just 8 months and make $30,000a month but you have got to have cash flow all year. Not everyone is disciplined to put money back for a rainy day. Where I am located we dont have snow to fall back on so we go to our properties all year long.You might can get by during the winter but your employees cant and to keep them you have got to pay them .Also during the year if someone wants something else , like mulch we bill them extra. We usually figure into the price mulching twice a year . Everyone is in different climates , we are lucky to be able to go all year.