1. Maintaining Company Culture During Stressful Times

How do you maintain a positive company culture during a time of social distancing, economic uncertainty, and health worries? Click here to learn more.

Dismiss Notice

All the bids are in.....and for the results>>>>

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by KirbysLawn, Jul 24, 2000.

1. thelawnguy

thelawnguy LawnSite Silver Member

I agree, year round billing doesnt work where I am, where the grass is usually snow-covered for 3 months, but in places where there is usually no snow you really need to stop by and keep the place looking good. (and get paid for it).<p>Bill

2. southside

southside LawnSite Senior Member

I'm quite pleased that my price was in the ballpark,taking into account the currency<br>conversions plus converting imperial into <br>metric.Sorry I didn't price the chemical apps<br>but I'm not familiar with the types of grass<br>in the US and the chemicals available there.<br>Very good excersize in pricing ability,really<br>gets the brain working.<p>Karl<br>

3. thelawnguy

thelawnguy LawnSite Silver Member

I probably should have asked this a few weeks earlier, but is the square footage that of the lawn area only, or of the entire lot including house? I assumed the entire lot.

4. The quotation of jobs in dollars in this froum is complete BS.

You can't compaire dollar for dollar nationwide.

The cost of doing business varies greatly as well as the
    local economy.

Since the cost of living in my area is about 1/4 that it is
    in Northern Calif. Silicon Valley we (all contractor of all types) simply charge less but make the same gross profit margin.

5. TGCummings

TGCummings LawnSite Senior Member

I know this debate was a pretty heated one, and that I missed most of it while away on vacation last week, but now that I'm caught up this proved to be one of the most interesting and invaluable discussions I've seen.

And not just because folks were making me laugh with wild suicide attempts.

This thread helped me see, in very clear terms, the different methods folks around this great nation are using for work and billing. I live in a mild climate (never too hot/never too cold) and I bill a flat rate monthly. Yes, sometimes I cut a lawn 5 times/month in the Summmer/Fall, but sometimes I cut a lawn only 2 or 3 times in the Winter/Spring due to rain (or vacation). I get paid even when I don't mow, so I don't mind the extra pick-up when the schedule demands.

It makes sense for my situation (and seems to make a lot of sense for ol' Kirby, too).

Speaking of Ray, bully to you for this thread and the whole mock bidding. I didn't get a chance to partake in the last, but I intend to partake in the next. Great job.

-TGC