All Things Rain Bird

Discussion in 'Professional Discussions' started by Ron Wolfarth, Aug 11, 2014.

1. OP
    OP
    Ron Wolfarth

Ron Wolfarth Sponsor

I heard from the Product Manager. Your points are valid, a detail is not accurate, but your overall points are valid. The detail that is wrong is that 'the round connection is not standard and we made it proprietary with that extra pin'. That actually IS the standard for a round RS-232 connection. I guess a keyboard connection is not the standard RS-232 connection.

Back to your point....We're working on it. I got no forecast and couldn't/wouldn't share it if I did. Thanks for pointing this out. It gives us even more motivation to get this changed to something more up to date.

And Delmarva Keith will be happy to know that we have a giant stack of punch cards ready to go to run the program to get this work done.
    :eek: :hammerhead: :dizzy: :laugh:

Delmarva Keith and Srlance31 like this.
  2. Srlance31

Srlance31 LawnSite Senior Member

Sorry for ranting like that Ron and welcome back! Started to think you were in a car accident or something. The rs232 (serial) Cable is a standard End yes not proprietary. Anyways if the serial end was charged to a usb then all would be well. However the other cable end that looks like a ps2 is slightly altered to make it proprietary. Again if the 20+ year dated serial end was usb then all would be well.

I got the iqcloud running eventually and tested the rain sensor notification on iqcloud. I pulled the sensor jumper out and just had to refresh the window/status screen to get it to tell me that water was interrupted by the sensor and it made a log report. All good

3. OP
    OP
    Ron Wolfarth

Ron Wolfarth Sponsor

Well, experts disagree all the time. ase in point. Mine say we buy the standard RS232 round end plug and do not modify it. It is not proprietary. It would be more costly for no benefit. Other things make our stuff proprietary. If it were, then we would be compelled to carry spares and we don't do that. (The parts business is a pain.) Doesn't matter in any case.

I am told that making the cable connection current is on our list. Not sure of the priority.

Sounds like other stuff worked out. Thanks for letting us know your needs.

4. Srlance31

I’m sorry this is just gonna bug me to no end if I don’t do this one last post (swear last post ever about cable ends and ports). The rs232 also known as serial is rectangular shaped. Ps2 is round. The end of the cable provided in the Ethernet cartridge has a different end than a ps2 though at first glance it looks like it (see my first post about it). See pictures below for serial versus ps2. Again done. Love Rainbird. Will continue to use them!!!

5559E950-A15E-49D1-8102-5F502F6F0897.jpeg
    071205C2-956E-47F5-AA52-12625ACB879B.jpeg

5. OP
    OP
    Ron Wolfarth

Ron Wolfarth Sponsor

Well, I guess I didn't listen well enough. I am certain to be wrong.

6. stebs

stebs LawnSite Senior Member

Srlance:

Ps2 port/connector is not a rs-232 serial interface. They are one way communication only, unlike the normal serial Interface. The round rainbird connector appears to be an 8 pin mini-din which is an rs-232 serial interface. Yes serial ports are normally rectangular, but there is a round version as well, and seems to be most prevalent on older Apple computers.

https://www.cablestogo.com/product/09569/10ft-8-pin-mini-din-m-f-serial-rs232-extension-cable

https://www.cablestogo.com/product/...-pin-mini-din-serial-rs232-male-adapter-cable

7. Delmarva Keith

Delmarva Keith LawnSite Senior Member

8. Srlance31

Say whaaa!??:eek:

I owe Ron an apology. But dang that end looks ever so much a PS2. Sorry Ron I just never seen a 8 mini din m f rs232

Thanks Stebs. I’ll go stand over here in the corner now....:hammerhead:

9. OP
    OP
    Ron Wolfarth

Ron Wolfarth Sponsor

No worries. I am shocked I got something close to right for once.

Srlance31 likes this.
  10. Srlance31

Well don’t worry, you’ve probably forgotten more than I’ll know about irrigation. Also, size 12 boots that are 3 seasons old taste as awful as you’d think they would.