All Things Rain Bird

Discussion in 'Professional Discussions' started by Ron Wolfarth, Aug 11, 2014.

1. SoCalLandscapeMgmt

SoCalLandscapeMgmt LawnSite Silver Member

The ET Manager cartridge was discontinued. It was basically a buy out from another company. It was a HUGE disappointment to me. All it did was adjust the water budget of each program up or down based on the paging signal that it received every night. For it to work properly it really relied on having the correct program put into the controller initially. I had always hoped for an SMT on a cartridge type of deal for the LXM. I think it could have probably been done if they had wanted to do it. An LXMEF with stand alone, on site ET AND flow monitoring would have been a hell of a controller. The only thing that ever came close to that setup was the short lived IM Controller. I had two of them on a site and they were an interesting controller.

enorl76 likes this.
  2. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

Refresh our memories - how many threads per inch are the nozzles for the 1/2-inch brass impact heads? - I'm guessing 24, but I know some makes were 27tpi

3. OP
    OP
    Ron Wolfarth

Ron Wolfarth Sponsor

I am having someone refresh my memory. When I get the answer, I will share it and pass it off as my own.

4. OP
    OP
    Ron Wolfarth

Ron Wolfarth Sponsor

*cough cough* I seem to remember, yes, I know that those threads are 24 threads per inch.

Wet_Boots and Delmarva Keith like this.
  5. Wet_Boots

Thought so. For those in the audience wondering what's the deal with '24' and '27' - 27 tpi (threads per inch) makes for an impact head nozzle (for the 1/2 inch impacts used in residential pop-up rotors) that exactly matches a 1/8-inch (actual O.D. is .405") pipe thread - 24 tpi is a match for 3/8" UNF threads for US bolts and nuts, but since screw threads aren't produced with the same taper as pipe threads, there might have been some tooling employed that wasn't standard off-the-shelf stuff

6. OP
    OP
    Ron Wolfarth

Ron Wolfarth Sponsor

Boots, I know there is a nugget of really good information included in your message above, but I am having a 'half-brain' day and have missed it. Would you state it again so only half my brain is needed to understand it?

7. Wet_Boots

The obvious (or not) reason for my intrusion was to point the way to obtaining a usable 3/16" nozzle for the guy who asked about them. He needs a 24tpi nozzle, as per your confirmation of my guess. Other brands that used a 24tpi nozzle include Nelson, which I believe were derived from Western Raintrol designs. Pretty much all ancient history by now.

Ron Wolfarth likes this.
  8. OP
    OP
    Ron Wolfarth

Ron Wolfarth Sponsor

Or he could get our nozzles which a 1/32 smaller and carefully drill them out to 3/16. There is no magic other than good machining (without changing the angle of trajectory, of course).

9. Wet_Boots

Of course, those brass impact head nozzles - the ones that have the diffusing screw on them - were a sumbitch to change out - I doubt anyone back then foresaw a future of interchangeable nozzles on entry-level residential rotor heads as being commonplace

10. OP
    OP
    Ron Wolfarth

Ron Wolfarth Sponsor

The hold-up tool was very handy.