All Things Rain Bird

Discussion in 'Professional Discussions' started by Ron Wolfarth, Aug 11, 2014.

1. OP
    OP
    Ron Wolfarth

Ron Wolfarth Sponsor

The Product Manager is out of the office. I read the literature.

The flow sensor feature gives alarms with high/low flow readings.

The flow rates are 'learned' during the installation process. The controller operates each station for a couple minutes to let flow settle down and then records the 'standard' flow.

There is a default high and low flow threshold which is adjustable. The default high and low flow thresholds are different and can be independently changed. In other words, it is not a set percent plus/minus for high and low. It could 110% as the high flow threshold and 60% for low flow threshold.

A zone can 'by-pass' the flow sensor function. In other words, if there is a zone where a high/low alarm is not desired, it can be disabled for that zone.

If I learn more after talking to the Product Manager, I will give an update.

2. ArTurf

ArTurf LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Ark

I read up on it also. Sold it to a customer that would benefit from flow monitoring. I'll be installing ASAP.

3. Love the Green Biz

Love the Green Biz LawnSite Platinum Member

You're right-I was thinking of the Richdel 412. I just went and opened a 6 zone Imperial and it lists that in the lower left corner. I keep this one around for an HOA I installed in 1983 that won't let me upgrade even though the valves are 2" Irritrol (aka Hardie when installed nee Richdel) with a simple pump start relay to a 10 HP deep well. They just love the simplicity of the thing.

Wet_Boots likes this.
  4. ArTurf

ArTurf LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Ark

Ron,
    Just installed my first MJ100B flow sensor w ME3. Bit I have a unique situation, the system is run off of 2 controllers independent of each other with the same water supply. 11 zones on the ME3 and 4 zones off of another controller. When the other controller runs it sets off a high flow alarm on the ME3 which is understandable. My question is will this suspend the watering of the ME3 or what will happen?

I did read the manuals but they did not cover such situations. Note, I will eventually incorporate the 4 zones to the ME3

5. OP
    OP
    Ron Wolfarth

Ron Wolfarth Sponsor

Let me check next week. I am out but will email the PM.

6. stebs

stebs LawnSite Senior Member

The manual says that when the sensor is turned on and flow exceeds 30% of the learned value of the station, it will suspend watering on those stations. So guessing you are going to want to either turn off the flow sensor for the affected stations (or all stations) or just bite the bullet and go ahead and move the other controllers stations over to the me3.

7. OP
    OP
    Ron Wolfarth

Ron Wolfarth Sponsor

PM told me if it is set to alarm only, it won't interrupt irrigation but just keep sending alarms.

8. extremecutter

extremecutter LawnSite Member

Well this might of been talked about, but why wont the link work in the esp-lx controller? Or why doesn't Rainbird have it work in this controller? Be nice for my customer not close by to make changes to program or use as a remote since I can't ever get my remote to stay connected to receiver.

9. ArTurf

ArTurf LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Ark

I have it set to alarm and skip problem zone since I want it to shut down that zone since the system has a booster pump and I don't want it deadheading if a valve does not open. But it gives an alarm if the other controller opens a zone and it assumes there is a main line leak. The question is will it shut down the whole programming on the controller that is connected to the flow sensor. I know this is a screwy deal and I'll eventually correct it but in the meantime I'd like to make it work if possible

10. ArTurf

ArTurf LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Ark

Reading over my posts I may not have made it clear. The ME3 that is connected to the flow sensor IS NOT running any stations when the other controller is running the 4 other stations