All Things Rain Bird

Discussion in 'Professional Discussions' started by Ron Wolfarth, Aug 11, 2014.

1. OP
    OP
    Ron Wolfarth

Ron Wolfarth Sponsor

I passed this along to the PM. Probably not going to happen due to the huge waste that would happen. Many distributor branches have a supply of these that they will give you. If not, they can order them at no-charge for you.

2. ArTurf

ArTurf LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Ark

Right now I have the controller set to "alarm and skip zone in case of low flow" aka a zone valve not opening. This is one of the main reasons I wanted to use this system since it has a booster pump and I didn't want it deadheading in the case of a faulty valve since I suspect this has happened in the past with catastrophic results.

I have the "high flow" set to alarm only since it shuts down all irrigation when flow is detected outside of set programs. I would prefer to set it to alarm and skip zone aka a broken head/fitting but cannot do this with the current way it is set up.

Just trying to clarify my prior messages. I did send an email to RB but who knows if it gets in the right hands

3. OP
    OP
    Ron Wolfarth

Ron Wolfarth Sponsor

So, I think based on your description that it will only alarm. It will always alarm with high flow. It cannot be set to not alarm. (Developers thought there was no point to having a flow sensor if it does not shut down or alarm. Makes sense to me.) BTW, the only way to set it to alarm and shut down is if it has an LNK installed.

4. ArTurf

ArTurf LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Ark

Yes I have LNK on it. You have the option to alarm and skip station with both high and low flow. But if you choose to "alarm and skip station on high flow" it will it will shut down ALL programming if it detects flow OUTSIDE of scheduled run times. I think it should have the option to recognize and alarm these scenarios but NOT shut down ALL PROGRAMS. Hope this makes sense

I wish I could afford to take vacations BTW

5. OP
    OP
    Ron Wolfarth

Ron Wolfarth Sponsor

Okay. I understand a little more each iteration here.

The low flow and high flow settings are independent of each other.

Alarm and Skip means it will alarm and skip (shut down) the current zone. So, station 1 has a flow condition that meets the alarm requirements. It alarms and skips (turns off) station 1 and then proceeds to the next station.
    In your scenario, you want to alarm and skip (turn off) zones in which there is a low flow due to concerns about deadheading your pump. You set it to "alarm and skip". Done.

You also want to alarm only the high flow conditions when controller 2 is running. Controller 1 sees that flow and thinks there is a mainline break. If it is set to Alarm and Skip, it will alarm and skip (shutdown) the master valve. The mainline is shut down. If the high flow parameter is set to alarm only, then it will alarm only. It will be annoying, because the only way to clear that alarm is to stand at the controller and clear it. Then every time controller 2 runs, it will alarm again.

I think I read you say that if low flow is set to "Alarm and Skip", then high flows also have to be set that way. I am being told by the PM that is not the case. They are independent settings. You want to Alarm only on high flow.

Here is a link to a video on setting flow on ESP-ME3 that MIGHT be instructional. (I did not watch it.)
    http://wifi.rainbird.com/articles/c...r-for-use-with-rain-bird-esp-me3-controllers/

upload_2019-9-11_15-2-33.png

6. OP
    OP
    Ron Wolfarth

Ron Wolfarth Sponsor

I goofed somehow and attached this by mistake. BTW, it is the language of the new CA regulation telling the effective date after which all sprays must have integral pressure regulation.

7. ArTurf

ArTurf LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Ark

No, I understand that low and high flow are independent settings. I have low set to alarm and skip: and high set to alarm only.

I'm suggesting that high be configured so that it can be set to alarm and skip AND at the same time not shut down ALL programmed watering if it detects flow not related to set watering, such as use of a hose bib.

8. Delmarva Keith

Delmarva Keith LawnSite Senior Member

I’m starting to think maybe getting back to basics like this sort of thing . . .

http://www.irrigationoutlet.com/val...and-accessories-pressure-relief-valves-pierce

Overpressure dump routed to a place that won’t cause damage and will be visible. Almost foolproof “alarm” that will protect the pump.

The high tech stuff would be great but it’s starting to seem like it’s not really made for your application. I get why it shuts down the master valve if it detects flow with no zone running. Adding an option on that condition to alarm but not shut down would seem to be consistent with all of the other selections for alarm only, i.e., allow settings that alert but let the user decide if something is wrong rather than forcing a shut down. Maybe it will be implemented that way in a future revision. In the mean time, an “old fashioned” relief will protect the pump.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2019
  9. ArTurf

ArTurf LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Ark

9DBCBE76-CD0B-43D7-AE96-AF8C11E94FFA.jpeg Any chance parts available for rebuilding

10. OP
    OP
    Ron Wolfarth

Ron Wolfarth Sponsor

Okay. I passed this along to the PM. I guess I didn't understand what you were saying.