Allectus breakdown!

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by lawn king, Oct 14, 2017.

1. lawn king

lawn king LawnSite Silver Member

Last season we experienced some breakthrough on grubs, not a lot just a few accounts. We are now on round 4, finding grub activity in approximately 12 % of our accounts! I spent thousands of dollars on allectus! Grubs are building immunity to merit for sure!

2. jc1

jc1 LawnSite Silver Member

I dont think 12% of your accounts should be considered bad.
    how many sq ft?
    Random spots or are you saying that 12% is devastated?
    There are alot of variables to applications. Too dry, too wet , not watered in. Slight misses in coverage. Insect hatch dates early or later then usual with this seasons weird weather.
    We dont use allectus, but we have not had grub damage on any lawns that we did a preventative app on. We have treated about 15 properties that did not get a preventer with dylox.

3. ted putnam

ted putnam LawnSite Platinum Member

Not trying to pick anyone apart here but JC1 is right, there are many variables that can play a part in insect problems or lack thereof.

JC1. How is Dylox a preventative? It's always been my understanding that Dylox (which I use for immediate control of a grub problem) is an organophosphate with very little, if any residual.

I've seen more grub damage this year, and in places where I have never had a problem before. That being said, we never have enough grub activity around here to warrant a "mass" grub preventative application for our customers.

Side note: we were told by reliable sources that army worms were going to be a major problem this year and while we had some, it was by no means a major problem...go figure!

4. ETM

ETM LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Georgia

We had 0 calls on army worms this year. Really weird

5. jc1

jc1 LawnSite Silver Member

Dylox was not used as a preventative it was used on 15 properties that did not receive a preventative treatment.
    We use accelepryn for grub prevention. The last few years have been significant with grubs on non treated lawns.

6. phasthound

phasthound LawnSite Fanatic

I do remember that last year New England reported higher than average grub activity after imidaclopirid applications.

7. grass4gas

grass4gas LawnSite Senior Member

I apply a grub preventive on all my lawns except heavy shade...grass is going to die in these areas anyway even with seeding in the spring.

I switch back and forth from imidicloprid and acelepryn each year. I have not found a resistance to the imidicloprid but don't want one to start either.

BTW...I believe the manufacturer of imidicloprid only guarantees 93% control. It is right on the bag if not mistaken

Geeman88 and foreplease like this.
  8. jbturf

jbturf LawnSite Bronze Member

Bummer on the grubs, I know that heart sinking feeling after breakthrough
    On about 50% of properties last year using Syngenta product.

With the allectus, on residential turf ur limited to a lower rate of imidacloprid .25 lb per acre, vs commercial sites or imidacloprid .20% products. SO not knowing your rates used, maybe you need to use a different product to be able to use the full rate of imidacloprid for difficult grub species.

The other thing, Id the grubs ur finding. When I last had breakthrough using imidacloprid, I was finding oriental grubs. I think it’s long been known imidacloprid is weak on European Chaffer grubs, but after talking with bayer and doing some research apparently orientals are now showing some resistance .

At least u used a bayer product, so they will likely supply u with dylox as needed.
    Gl

9. ted putnam

ted putnam LawnSite Platinum Member

I got you JC1. I reread your post again. I totally misread it... sorry about that.
    I maintain the lawn areas for a local bank (my bank) that was having a major problem with Turfgrass Aetenius beetles about 3 yrs ago. It seems all the bright lights around the parking lot were drawing them in by the millions every night... literally. They were so bad that besides the grubs laying waste to large areas of turf, they were killing Dwarf Crape Myrtles by chewing the roots off the shrubs. Merit seemed to have short residual and Dylox would kill existing grubs but there were so many beetles constantly laying eggs that I couldn't maintain control of them.
    I ended up using a product called Arena and haven't had a problem with them since. That stuff was the bomb.

10. lawn king

lawn king LawnSite Silver Member

We have had great results with merit and allectus for 20 years, Im going to talk to a bayer rep this week as im not getting any deal on the dylox im buying! Beetle populations were low this year so im quite suprised by this problem!