Alternative Replacement Blades ZT3

bigdangedfish

LawnSite Member
Does anyone know of a cross flat style 20.5" long, 3/16" thick 5/8" hole and 6 point star as in the pix? Similar to the Oregon 91-144 that says it's a replacement for Cub Cadet 1004719. Flat style to replace the contorted, thin OEM.

I'm tired of the poor life of the OEM blades for our Cub Cadet ZT3 60. The OEM blades are 1/8" thick and are arched to provide rigidity. I mow 5 acres once/week (4 hours) and they last a half season. They can be resharpened but the other part of the blade evaporates, so they become useless. The previous mower was a 61" Husqvarna and the replacement blades ran two full seasons. They were easy to sharpen and were $53/set vs $88-$142/set depending on source for the Cub Cadet blades. I've looked at Oregon but found nothing with the 6 point & 5/8" bolt hole, Original equipment part # for blades is 742-05620 or 742P05620.

OP
B

bigdangedfish

LawnSite Member
Got confirmation email from Oregon "Unfortunately, at this time we do not offer a blade that matches the specifications required by your unit". So right now, the biggest seller of mower blades does not carry any blades for the ZT3 60". The OEM blades are poor junk.

Youngandfree

LawnSite Fanatic
What is the length of them? Your best bet may be find an adapter to use round hole blades, find an equivalent length bowtie hole blade that will fit your star shape spindle.

Hawkshot99

LawnSite Silver Member
I used to have a Cub Cadet RZT 50 ztr. I bent a bunch of those blades. Have never bent a blade before, or since with another mower.

OP
B

bigdangedfish

LawnSite Member
What is the length of them? Your best bet may be find an adapter to use round hole blades, find an equivalent length bowtie hole blade that will fit your star shape spindle.
Length = 20.5. Source for adapter or bowtie blade would be appreciated. Sounds like an interesting idea but have never seen anything like that.
Mower-BladesNeede.jpg

OP
B

bigdangedfish

LawnSite Member
The blades with the large 3/4" hole is the type that would be nice to use. Finding something that could adapt the 5/8" spindle bolt w/6pt * to the round 3/4" blade hole would be a real bonus. I have 6 of those heavy 20.5" blades from another mower that was sold. Why the Cub Cadet has such proprietary blades is a mystery. That OEM blade has 28 hours on it. The other style can generally last 120 hours b4 needing sharpening.

Youngandfree

LawnSite Fanatic
The blades with the large 3/4" hole is the type that would be nice to use. Finding something that could adapt the 5/8" spindle bolt w/6pt * to the round 3/4" blade hole would be a real bonus. I have 6 of those heavy 20.5" blades from another mower that was sold. Why the Cub Cadet has such proprietary blades is a mystery. That OEM blade has 28 hours on it. The other style can generally last 120 hours b4 needing sharpening.

May need to find a suitable blade with 6 pt star for a 42" deck, and trim a 1/2" off each end. Someone here posted about getting longer blades trimmed down.

Top Forums