1. Maintaining Company Culture During Stressful Times

How do you maintain a positive company culture during a time of social distancing, economic uncertainty, and health worries? Click here to learn more.

Dismiss Notice

Alternatives to a string trimmer?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jazza96, Dec 4, 2016.

1. jazza96

jazza96 LawnSite Member

Hi
    I am thinking of starting a part time lawn mowing business.
    The problem is that I am not very good at using a string trimmer for edges. I seem to hack into the grass.
    Is there anything else I could use for edges besides a string trimmer and a lawn edger?

Thanks

2. CorridorLawnCare

CorridorLawnCare LawnSite Member

Practice, there really isn't any other option unless you spray round-up along every obstacle, and i'd guess if you did that you wouldn't end up with too many customers...

3. Utah Lawn Care

Utah Lawn Care LawnSite Bronze Member

I am not aware of anything besides a trimmer and edger. Honestly I went from never using an edger before to using one on clients lawns every day without feeling like I was doing a crappy job. You will get a hold of the edging in a hurry. Just do a 90 degree angle and pull it towards the concrete. If it's overgrown you might have to kind of saw your way through some edges, but you will figure it out.

Getting really good and fast with a trimmer is a different story. It really does take some time to be quick and learn a few little tricks. I was about halfway done with my first year of mowing before I realized slowing the rpm's allowed me to get grass in corners way better, helped not beat the crap out of wood fences as bad, helped not use as much trimmer line on chain link etc. Just take your time and you will learn and be fine. Analyze your own work after you do it and adjust accordingly.

TrainingWheels likes this.
  4. Utah Lawn Care

I actually had a potential employee who told me his first training day we should spray roundup along the edges of our clients lawns so we didn't need to trim or edge. He was serious. He didn't make it to day 2 of the training. He left me a negative review on yelp saying the owner doesn't know what he was doing. Luckily yelp removed the review.

5. JLSLLC

JLSLLC LawnSite Fanatic

If you dont like running a trimmer your in the wrong business. Practice makes perfect

TrainingWheels and K c m like this.
  6. OP
    OP
    jazza96

jazza96 LawnSite Member

I will practice on my lawn first before doing it on someone else's.

7. OP
    OP
    jazza96

jazza96 LawnSite Member

WOW!!
    The potential employee left you a negative review or a homeowner??

8. MNLawns

MNLawns LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from MN

he needs to man up, and learn how to hold a trimmer.

9. Utah Lawn Care

The potential employee. I contacted Yelp and they removed it.

10. Darryl G

Darryl G Inactive

What's that little rolling disk thing called that you can put on a trimmer for edging? I've never used one but have seen other members here saying they have.

When I edge with my trimmer I hold my trimmer stationary and do all the moving with my legs and body. Concrete edges are rare where I am...almost all asphalt...so using a blade isn't an option.

Ridin' Green likes this.