Am I crazy?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing Equipment' started by bshak, Mar 13, 2018.

1. bshak

bshak LawnSite Member

I was told yesterday by another landscaping company that my equipment is too clean and this was no joke. That I would have no problem with, not that I had a problem with what he said. I took it as a compliment. Mind you, I am just starting my business and am doing 4 or 5 lawns per week so far but every day, I clean my machines and get them ready for the next day. I know it is easy since I don't have a full load of lawns yet but I like keeping my equipment nice. Like my customers, I take care of my equipment and it will take care of me. I took it for what it was but is anyone as picky as I am about keeping their equipment maybe too clean? I figure better make it a habit while its slow.

2. jod788

jod788 LawnSite Member

Don’t waste your time contemplating what other lawn companies think of you. Wash and wax your mowers daily if you wish.

Ridin' Green and bakebean like this.
  3. kabrac

kabrac LawnSite Senior Member
    from Alabama

No worries!!

bakebean likes this.
  4. Todd73

Todd73 LawnSite Silver Member
    Male, from Florida

Your equipment will get plenty dirty soon enough.

Might he have meant that because your equipment is so clean, that you look new to the industry and that might hurt you getting customers because you look inexperienced?

5. ProStreetCamaro

ProStreetCamaro LawnSite Platinum Member

Nothing wrong with that if you have the time and desire to do it. Me when I back the trailer in I run and change my clothes and dart home to let the babysitter go. Then get the wife's dialysis machine ready for when she gets home from work. Next to no time for even basic maintenance lol.

6. weeze

weeze Banned

washing the mower can do harm. never wet a hot engine. it can crack the block. every now and then i take a wet rag and wipe off the worst of it. i never spray water on my equipment. even if it's completely clean i mow one yard and it's totally dirty again so not really a point in doing it honestly.

CLT Bluesman likes this.
  7. Capt J-rod

Capt J-rod LawnSite Member

Your equipment is your livelihood. My truck is spit shined and polished. My tools are all organized. If I use up materials then they get replaced. My trailers are also washed especially if they see salt. If it sneezes, I fix it. Down time = lost $$$$. I don't mow for a living, I do rental properties, HVAC, maintenance, and plumbing. Money spent chasing parts is money lost.

Ridin' Green likes this.
  8. Patriot Services

Patriot Services LawnSite Fanatic

Your company, your image, your reputation. Nothing wrong with being the guy that has clean equipment, clean clothes and does outstanding work. I know some guys think it's okay to look homeless cuz you're working outside, that's not the image I want for my company. Oddly enough you really see the guys with the clean image doing crappy work but you'll see plenty of the opposite.

9. greendoctor

greendoctor LawnSite Fanatic

My point exactly. It is the big companies with the lettered trucks and matching uniforms that are rotary mowing and string trimming lawns. They do not use greensmowers or the blade trimmer.

10. JLSLLC

JLSLLC LawnSite Fanatic

Some bigger companies in my area dont want you to clock out until you wash the equipment, summertime or after a snow storm. Shops have drain, and hoses,pressure washers, climate controlled. Disgruntled employees told me this second hand. I get where both sides are coming from.