Am I illegal?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by GreenBlade, Feb 11, 2013.

  1. GreenBlade

    GreenBlade LawnSite Member
    Messages: 216

    I'm in Johnson City.
  2. 205mx

    205mx LawnSite Silver Member
    Messages: 2,393

    Oh. You are closer to the coast than you are to me I think.
    Posted via Mobile Device
  3. Mowin4Dollas

    Mowin4Dollas LawnSite Member
    Messages: 87

    I fellow Volunteer! Nice! I am in the same boat as you, except I have a new company! Make sure you have at least general liability and a business license. If you are going to advertise heavily you need to be a tax paying company with all the right licenses, etc. I am really glad to see a guy my age really working hard. It's refreshing.
  4. GreenBlade

    GreenBlade LawnSite Member
    Messages: 216

    So the best thing to do would be to just talk to the city right? & an insurance provider.
    Posted via Mobile Device
  5. 205mx

    205mx LawnSite Silver Member
    Messages: 2,393

    Gotta love TN. I'm 21 myself. Nashville!
    Posted via Mobile Device
  6. Will P.C.

    Will P.C. LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 966

    See if you can put it in your moms name until you turn 18
  7. ArTurf

    ArTurf LawnSite Platinum Member
    Male, from Ark
    Messages: 4,471

    Why would you feel bad about reporting an illegal activity? If you know someone drives drunk and you report them it would be the right thing to do. You may save someone's life. If you report someone who does not run their business in a legitimate manner you may save the business of someone who does operate legitimately who is trying to support their family.
  8. 205mx

    205mx LawnSite Silver Member
    Messages: 2,393

    I'd speak with the county clerks office and city. Sort of at the same time. As in make the calls the same day. Business license if applicable at 16 takes about 10 minutes.

    1) County clerk. Get a business license through them. While on the phone with them, ask if your city will require a business license at your address. If you are outside vs inside city limits. County clerk should know.
    If you aren't inside city limits, you won't need a city license.

    2) if inside city, get a city license.
    3) take county license to Your bank and open a checking account. It will be "Your Name DBA Your business name"
    4) while doing all of this, shop and decide on an insurance provider.
    5) take a temporary check from your new checking account to the insurance agent. If you cannot pay for a year, see if you can break it up quarterly or monthly or 6mo (I have no clue because I just pay by the year)
    6) save some money for fuel, advertisement, and working/operating capital.
    7) when you get paid, save for taxes, save for future expense, and do yourself a favor and keep your equipment maintained ad full of petro.
    8) develop systems that work for you.

    Caution This advise is worth what you paid for it.
    Posted via Mobile Device
  9. 205mx

    205mx LawnSite Silver Member
    Messages: 2,393

    Interesting take. People like me I guess (legit insured LLC) I appreciate that perspective.
    Posted via Mobile Device
  10. newz7151

    newz7151 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Tejas
    Messages: 2,419

    Or just put it in his moms name and leave it like that and list himself as an employee. That way "his" business would be considered a minority or woman owned business and qualify for all kinds of extra good perks and federal giveaways.

Share This Page