Am I making the right choice? (used WB for 1.75 acre lot)

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by Herty Field, Mar 10, 2019.

1. Herty Field

Herty Field LawnSite Member

***My apologies - I just noticed the homeowners forum, and I reposted there. Mods - please feel free to delete this post from this specific forum. Apologies again everyone***

After months of researching ztr's and which one I was going to buy with my 3-4K budget (I planned on buying a new residential mower such as Ariens Ikon, Cub Cadet Ultima, etc.), I'm now strongly leaning towards a used commerical WB instead (with sulke or proslide), as I can get far more bang for my buck plus perhaps save some cash to boot...and probably get a better, faster cut.

My question is, am I making the right choice? Also, the overwhelming majority of used WB in my area are Exmark Vikings, with a few Snappers available as well. Thus I'm guessing I'll end up with a used Viking if indeed I go the WB route. Any thoughts on buying a used Viking with, say, 500-1000 hours on it also would be appreciated.

Finally, ideally I'd like a mower that is a nice striper as well. Are Vikings (or other WB's) known for their striping capabilities and/or is it possible to add a striping kit in conjunction with. Sulke? Also, if I go through with a WB, I'll be the only homeowner in my entire community with a WB, but what the heck - if I'm getting a better cut with less time spent, that's fine with me.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2019
  2. CorgiTurf

CorgiTurf LawnSite Senior Member

I’d rather be sitting down for 1.75 acres.

3. agm

agm LawnSite Member
    from NM

For what you will be using it for, a homeowner would be fine. If you do want to go with a commercial walkbehind, 500 hours isnt all that bad as long as maintenance was kept up. Just about all exmarks leave pretty good stipes without a "striping kit" installed on it. I use a 60" turf tracer with a sulky and it leaves great stripes. My navigator leaves great stripes as well.

hort101 likes this.
  4. JLSLLC

JLSLLC LawnSite Fanatic

Your gonna hate mowing that much area with a walk behind. Yes it’s doable but takes longer than a ztr or stander would do.. and they’re going to be more comfortable

Walker56 likes this.
  5. TPendagast

TPendagast LawnSite Fanatic
    Male

2 acres isn’t that much with a walk behind if you have a sulky.

A commercial walk with a sulky is better than a cheapo depo residential rider anyday

6. Jasburrito

Jasburrito LawnSite Member

I am also in need of a new mower for my home. I probably gonna start a lawn mowing company too. I have watched tons of youtubers. Theres a bunch. Anyways i noticed alot of the jobs that seem to have decent profits are smaller lawns. I do not have a huge bugdet. Used zrts in my area seem way overpriced. Probably worth buying new in future. Anyways i am also looking at getting a viking or similar to use on smaller properties. Any advice would be great. Thanks.