American flag from work trucks?

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by Taylor Lindsey, Feb 16, 2017 at 10:00 AM.

1. Taylor Lindsey

Taylor Lindsey LawnSite Member

A little background: My company is called AmeriScapes, and we focus on a slightly patriotic theme, without going overboard. Basically, my business is a landscaping and lawn care business and we offer military discounts to service members, we have red white and blue (and green) in our colors, and our slogan is "building the American Dream, one beautiful lawn at a time" to show that we try to achieve the white picket fence utopia, with perfect full lawns and nice landscapes, for everybody.

Now, my question is: Can we fly 3'x5' American flags from the front of the bed of our trucks, behind the passenger seat (I have one on my 91 Dodge Dakota now, but I want to know what's best, moving forward) without coming off as redneck? We're based in Raleigh North Carolina, so there's probably mixed opinions in this area.

In my personal opinion, I think that if we're driving brand new trucks (in the near future) and they're navy blue with a clean logo on the sides, and we have well organized trailers with professional looking workers (in navy polos), that it won't look "redneck", but will instead add to the affect, and may even bring in new business from people who love the flag and the country.

My final opinion: I think that it will obviously deter a few salty people, but I think it will grab people's attention, especially baby boomers, and they'll like what we believe in.

What are your thoughts? Do any of you have experience flying the American flag from your work trucks?

IMG_20170107_123841_743.jpg

IMG_20170212_222359_262.jpg

2. BrandonV

BrandonV LawnSite Platinum Member

I think you'd be better off working it into the paint and graphics as opposed to having one mounted on the truck. You're just gonna hurt your fuel mileage and have a item on your truck that's going to get Caught under limbs and what not. That and most flags are not going to hold up the been driven down the road at 55 miles an hour as long as you would hope

3. lazyike

lazyike LawnSite Senior Member

I agree with Brandon. There are many flag items you can get. You could get a bug guard with the flag on it, or a back window screen with a flag flag on it, you could have it painted on the back door of your trailer.

hort101 likes this.
  4. Trees Too

Trees Too LawnSite Gold Member

An actual flag could possibly block your 360 vision. Better to go with decals, or a wrap of some sort.

hort101 likes this.
  5. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes LawnSite Fanatic

Isn't it technically against the flag code or whatever to fly it from a vehicle?

greenfire likes this.
  6. JimBob_IA

JimBob_IA LawnSite Member

I too agree with Brandon. Here is what we have done on the enclosed trailer. We have a smaller version on the trucks, however I do not have a good photo of that.
    Trailer Front Small.jpg

Taylor Lindsey likes this.
  7. greenfire

greenfire LawnSite Senior Member

^^Yes there is a flag code for displaying the American Flag on vehicles. Read up on that. The flag is supposed to be lit at night and other rules. No offense to the OP, but having the flag on a truck like that exposed to the weather is a bit disgraceful. This is my opinion.. I don't think the flag should be used as an advertising piece either.

8. Taylor Lindsey

That's good input, and I agree. However, my main question/concern is whether potential clients will view the business as trashy or redneck, instead of professional and patriotic?

9. Taylor Lindsey

I don't believe it is, but I'm not 100% sure. I know that fire trucks fly full sized flags from their back.

10. Taylor Lindsey

Thank you for your input, This is the kind of response I was looking for.