1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns in the Franchising forum plus sign up to receive a FREE eBook on how to grow your landscape business.

Dismiss Notice

Amsoil in an old Craftsman chain saw

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by LarryF, Feb 24, 2012.

1. LarryF

LarryF LawnSite Bronze Member

The saw's manual specifies a mix of 16:1 but that was written before the synthetic oils appeared. If I were to use Amsoil in this one, what mix can I get away with?

2. dboyd351

dboyd351 LawnSite Bronze Member

Lots of guys on another site that specializes in chainsaws use 50:1 if you use a good synthetic oil, like Amsoil Saber, for example.

3. LarryF

I appreciate you telling me that and I intend to do so also, but what's the URL for that other site? I'm already using the Amsoil Saber now at 50:1, but I'd like to read some opinions from high-use chainsaw operators regarding going as high as 100:1 for saws with 50:1 recommendations. It seems to me that quite a few here on lawnsite believe it's ok to do that for blowers and trimmers.

4. dboyd351

dboyd351 LawnSite Bronze Member

Not sure if the site rules allow you to post links to another site, but it has the word Arborist in in:rolleyes:

5. LarryF

Thanks! I found it and also saw a post it contained with this comment.

So yes, you can run the same fuel in your 1950 chainsaw, your 2011 chainsaw, your weedeater, and your blower. Period.:clapping:

And since he was writing specifically about Amsoil, that seems to directly answer my question.

6. EMTDUCK1984

EMTDUCK1984 LawnSite Member

i use opti 2 in all 2 cycle engines. It mixes at 100:1 and i have had no problems at all.