Lawn Care Forum banner

Amsoil Vs Mobil 1

10K views 30 replies 18 participants last post by  caseysmowing 
#1 ·
Do you guys find any difference in these two brands of oil. is it worth it to run these oil brands ?
I run Mobil 1 on all my gas equipment from new last year. I hade a problem with a Kawasaki 15hp also running Mobil one after 500 hours motor was knocking very loud.
I usually get 2000 hours + out of these motors :drinkup:

#27 ·
How long can I go between oil changes using Mobil one? This is on a kawasaki fx series engine. Local amsoil dealer who also mows says he goes 3 to 400 hrs between changes on his exmark laser. Can something like this be done with amsoil?
Posted via Mobile Device

#28 ·
How long can I go between oil changes using Mobil one? This is on a kawasaki fx series engine. Local amsoil dealer who also mows says he goes 3 to 400 hrs between changes on his exmark laser. Can something like this be done with amsoil?
Posted via Mobile Device
This was a while ago...
It mostly depends on conditions you are using the engine in. we change our oil 100 hours no matter what. But we are in a wild climate area, from dust bowl, hot and humid to dry and cool, sometimes in the same day..lol. heat, dirt, moister are what ruins oil... if they are not extremes or the usage is not hardcore then going over the recommended may very well be ok. all these things they rate are "on average". we see condensation in the oil tubes all the time around mid-east coast. even more so in our vehicles so we change oil often.

#29 ·
I would not go that far on ANY oil without doing oil analysis along the way. I ran Pennzoil 10w30 conventional oil in my Dixie up to about 150 hours before changing it and sending a sample to Blackstone Labs for testing. The results indicated a normally wearing engine with very little contaminates in the oil. Their engineer indicated that I could go to about 190 hours before the additives package would be gone and the oil would quickly turn to trash at that point.

My takeaway from this was that I could easily run to 100 hours per oil change and still have a couple of months leeway to get it done if I get lazy. I also know that the filter (Purolator Pure 1) was in fine shape and had not plugged up and gone into bypass.

Although the additives package in Amsoil is somewhat better than the dino Pennzoil that I use, I don't think it's 2 or 3 times better. I believe you could easily go to 200 hours and then have an analysis done to see how much further you can safely go. The sample amount is tiny and won't cause you to need to add any oil. Also bear in mind that extending the OCI doesn't change the oil filter change interval. Most commercial engines call for a 200 hour interval on the oil filter.

#31 ·
I also use amsoil and run my mowers 100 hours per oil change and at 200 hours filter and oil. Purolater gold filters and amsoil small engine oil. You are crazy if you aren't using saber 2 cycle. I also buy their extended oil changes for the cars and trucks. Buy in bulk when you can!
Posted via Mobile Device

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.