And so it begins once more...

Discussion in 'Florida Lawn Care Forum' started by Todd73, Jul 4, 2018.

1. Todd73

Todd73 LawnSite Silver Member
    Male, from Florida

The July surge of estimate requests. So far it happens every year. Seems once the heat sets in, the lawn guys that aren’t truly dedicated to treating this like it’s a real job, stop showing up. Three estimate requests in two days.

On a side note, I’ve taken a slightly different sales approach lately that seems to be working as far as add-ons. Once someone contacts me, I’m directing them to my website (which I recently overhauled) to see all the services they can choose from for a “more accurate estimate.” Seems to be working as more people are expressing an interest in other services on top of the basic lawn maintenance. Worse case scenario, they know the services are available at a later date.

sjessen likes this.
  2. greendoctor

greendoctor LawnSite Fanatic

Florida is the opposite of Hawaii. I start getting all kinds of calls when it changes from warm and sunny to cloudy and wet. Lawns get diseases and the weeds grow rain or shine. Takes more than string cutting a lawn on exactly the same day every 14 days to maintain the lawn. When it is warm and sunny grass is fairly easy here. No disease and the grass grows at least as fast as the weeds do.

3. weeze

weeze LawnSite Fanatic

i've been getting crazy calls every day too. i hate this time of year. it's super hot and people want extra stuff done. it's too hot to be doing extra work right now. they should have gotten it done in the spring or wait until the fall. doing an estimate tomorrow. "my mower broke down"....yeah right. how is it possible that everyone's mower breaks down right around july 4th every year when it starts to get really hot outside? i'm not buying it. we'll see how it goes. :laugh:

4. williams lcm

williams lcm LawnSite Bronze Member

I don't bother with the my mower broke down crap. I automatically says sorry I am to busy. Lol

5. larryinalabama

larryinalabama LawnSite Fanatic

I cant even get the work I have done this year.

I havent skipped a place yet this year.

weeze likes this.
  6. weeze

weeze LawnSite Fanatic

just as i thought. i went to the yard only 2 days later and it had already been mowed by someone else. i called them and said "the yard was already mowed. call me if you need me." they haven't called. big surprise. all july calls are a joke man. every year the same thing. i think i will just turn off the phone the week of july 4th every year from now on.

7. Charles

Charles Moderator Staff Member

People are just still flooding into the lawn care business here. I don't advertise so I don't notice if anyone is quitting . If they are, they are being quickly replaced by another newbie. When the heat index gets over 100, I wonder why anyone would choose this field of work. Has been over 100 most of the season. Just unreal humidity.

8. Dublinladd3

Dublinladd3 LawnSite Member

I pick up on tractor work this time of year. Drive ways wash out I grade them or brush hogging fields because of the high rate of growth.