Anderson 2000 SR vs Earthway F80S vs. ???

Discussion in 'Fertilizer Application' started by DavidNJ, Aug 23, 2017.

1. DavidNJ

DavidNJ LawnSite Senior Member

My Earthway spreader has rusted through on the legs near the wheels. I've had lots of problems controlling the on/off from the handle with expected problems. Time for a new one, and this time in stainless.

On Earthway's site it seems everything is discontinued other than the F80S and F130S. I'm not pushing 130#. The rain cover and side guard(s) are optional. It is unclear but doubtful if the cover and 3-side guard on my current one will fit. I've had a problem with the guard staying up since I got them (quite a while ago.)

Anderson appears to have been bought by Earthway and since a single side guard and cover are standard, costs are similar. Is it a product about to be discontinued? Is it comparable or better than the Earthway?

Earthway also appears to own PrizeLawn which also has a stainless model, although the distribution doesn't seem as sophisticated as the Earthway or Anderson. It appears to also be sold by Home Depot as a Meyer Hotshot HD.

What the best choice? Having quick and complete off is best (I'd even like distribution on/off with a mower like deadman control). Having at least on side guard would be nice around plants.

Help!!!

Thanks,

David

[​IMG]

2. EarthWayJK

EarthWayJK Sponsor
    from Laurel

Hi David,
    We only discontinued the F130 range for push starting in 2018, the rest are still available. The SR2000 is a very sophisticated model and has some clever features included as standard. Our F80PSD would be closest to the SR, and if equipped with our SSC (SideSpred-Control) technologies, you don't need a side deflector. Email me at jkendall@earthway.com if you have further questions.
    Thanks,
    Jeff

3. DavidNJ

DavidNJ LawnSite Senior Member

Jeff, your advice was very helpful. Our supplier had both the 2000SR and 2170s (both painted and stainless) assembled. We went with the 2000 SR.

The controls on the 2000 SR were much more positive in their movement, the longer settings scale easier to adjust, and some adjustments were from the handlebar rather than on the bin, but the deciding difference was the balance. The center of gravity was much lower and now from experience, I can say the lower CG simply makes it easier to push.

It was $300 more expensive...but side-by-side it seemed easily worth that price difference. I think if the CG was lowered on the Earthway models and maybe a cable added to operate the SideSpred-Control, it would be much more effective.

4. EarthWayJK

EarthWayJK Sponsor
    from Laurel

David,
    Thanks for the information - they really are 2 different types of machines, and as we discussed, our F80PSD is a closer comparison to the SR2000, but you have a great machine that should last a lifetime, particularly for occasional use!
    Jeff