Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to buy a used angle grinder, probably off of ebay. what is a good brand? what do i look for?

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Check out some local pawn shops first, you can touch and feel there. Just make sure shaft doesn't have a lot of wobble to it, then get them to let you plug it in for a test spin.
If you've never used a grinder, it will be noisy. 4 1/2 or 5" probably best size, larger can be hard to control.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I think Metabo are probably viewed as the best grinders, but they are more expensive. Some people like the varible speed ,soft start models. I have 4 grinders 3 Makitas,2- 4-1/2" ones, 1- 7" one and a Ridgid one. The Makitas work alright but when you buy one check the triggers out. On the welding site some folks like the Dewalts,Milwaukees,Makitas,but view Metabo as the best. David

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
I paid 9.99 for mine, ordered it from a catalog, along with some other stuff. use it all year round, works good for me.

·
Registered
835 Posts
Places like Odd Job or the like and even at swap meets they can be found new off brand for like $10 to $20 bucks, or just go to depot or lowes and pick up a name brand for $40 up... Even your local tool shop should have something reasonable.. I have an old dewalt from depot that I paid like $50.oo for and have had for about 10 years now, with no problems. Just watch which grit wheels you get, too aggressive and youll make your blades diasappear really fast... LOL...

·
Registered
2,701 Posts
They're not a real expensive item.

I'd just go to Home Cheapo and get a red, yellow, or blue one.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Since this thread was brought back up I thought I would add my opinions to the subject. I have a Dewalt and Metabo angle grinders I have used them all. If you want the best out there in my opinion it would be the Metabo! They are the smoothest grinders I have ever found. Well worth the money you pay for them. For sharpening blades it should last a lifetime. I bought a 9’’ Metabo for 185.00 on clearance regular price was 365.00 I think the 4.5’’-5’’ grinders run around 200.00. the Dewalt has been a good grinder also, but its not in the same class as the Metabo.
Jeff

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Originally posted by shome1
Well this is my two cents. If you have a Harbor Freight go there. I bought mine about 3 years ago for sharpening blades and it costs almost $35.00

Not one problem so far
I bought one of those today on sale for $17.97. 4and1/2 inch with extra brushes. I refuse to spend $200.00 on something just to sharpen my blades. Harbor freight will warranty it as long as I own it, which is enough for me. I cant imagine wearing it out on four sets of mower blades every couple of weeks.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
O.K. used it today, worked great, nice sharp hollow-ground edge. Blades balanced out nicely.

·
Registered
13,488 Posts
Cha! Are you kidding me? Those grinders from Harbor Freight? I couldn't beLIEVE these things when I first saw them when our HF opened here in town, they had them on sale, like for $17, or so. A friend of mine bought two. He uses the heck out of them, and they are STILL running strong. If you buy one, and get a years use out of it, you got your use out of it! Now, I have no idea just how long these grinders will last, but for for 17 or 20 bucks, so what? You CAN'T get hurt. The price is certainly right.

·
Registered
674 Posts
“I'm looking to buy a used angle grinder, probably off of ebay. what is a good brand? what do i look for?’’
If your just going to sharpen blades save up and get a good blade grinder.
No disrespect intended, but in my opinion the Harbor Freight grinders from china isn’t a good brand. If you want cheap buy two of them. (Because they do not have the quality to last.) They are made for the homeowner that just needs a light duty grinder. I bought one of their 4-1/2” grinders to keep changing from a wire brush to a Flap disk. Sharpening mower blades they may last a while but when you put them in a heavy grinding situation they will not last! Within 15 minutes of heavy grinding the bearings in mine were very hot, not to mention the light gauge cord that was on it. You don’t get quality and dependability for $20.00.
You can buy a homeowner, commercial or an industrial model and you will be able to tell a big difference. A professional Welder may think your crazy for paying $10,000.00 for a mower, but you know it was money well spent over the homeowner model! I myself use my angle grinders very hard and found the cheaper tools cost me more in the long run.

Jeff

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hey this is the TOOLMAN. Just though I would let you guys know that DeWalt makes a 18V cordless 4 1/2" grinder that has really generated a lot of good feedback. It runs aroud $139 bare (Without batter, charger, etc). Realy nice depending on where you sharpen you blades.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.