1. Can’t make it to the GIE+EXPO 2017?
    LawnSite brings the trade show floor to your fingertips with our new GIE+EXPO 2017 Sneak Peek video series debuting now in the Lawn Mowing forum.

Dismiss Notice

Angle Grinders

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by SIG, Sep 12, 2002.

1. SIG

SIG LawnSite Member

Does anybody use a 4" angle grinder for shapening blades?

2. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

3. SIG

SIG LawnSite Member

65 Hoss,
    Then why does everyone go out and buy these bench grinders. I think they are a pain! With the angle grinder I see what I am doing and keep the angle almost perfect.

4. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

Different strokes for different folks, I assume. I've tried both, and I too prefer the angle grinder. I can control it better and get a nice edge put to it. Bench grinder can and will heat the blade real easy. I can control that better with the grinder. Maybe one day I can justify a magnamatic grinder, but until then, I prefer the angle grinder.

5. SIG

SIG LawnSite Member

I'm with you brother! Cheap, quick, easy. I guess it's just you and me bro.

6. Tidycut

Tidycut LawnSite Member

I use a 4 1/2 inch angle grinder. That's not what you asked though, but does that count? :D

Personally I think it's much easier and quicker than using a bench grinder.

Rick

PS. I like this edit feature

7. NBLL

NBLL LawnSite Member

I've been thinking about getting an angle grinder. Would be handy if you chipped a blade and didn't have spares with you. :)

8. sdwally

sdwally LawnSite Senior Member

We use both. Most operator prefer the angle grinders, since they are easy to use and can leave the blades on the machines. However, with a bench grinder our mechanics can produce a consistant sharp straight edge fairly fast. I belive the bench grinder is faster(especially if you have big nicks), if you know the tricks and had lots of practice. When using a bench grinder - heavy welding glove are a must.

9. SIG

SIG LawnSite Member

Tidycut,
    I actually meant 4 1/2" angle grinder. I stand corrected. So, yes you agree with me.
    :blob2:

10. SIG

SIG LawnSite Member

Hey sdwally,
    Love your part of the world, especially up there in LaJolla, awesome place!