• Thankful For Your Family…. Business?
    Landscaping businesses are often family endeavors. While this can combine the best of both worlds (personal and professional), it isn’t always smooth sailing. Click here to read more.

Another 800 series deere question

rungreen

LawnSite Member
Are the 830 and bigger ok, or are they all bad? Also are the 09 much better than 08? Have seen several 08 low houred with warrenties pretty cheap compared to 09s with more hours.

SouthSide Cutter

LawnSite Bronze Member
Friend of mine last year got a new 830 ran it 1 month made them take it back. You see them setting everywhere. I looked them over the 900 is a 800 with some changes. they took weight off the front with smaller tires and casters and put it on the back with a cast iron bumper. Someone said they changed the pps. on the 900.
I would have to run one for 500hrs before I could say anything on one. And I dont know anybody that has a ton of hrs on them so they can give a good report.
They do cut good but not like my Velocity does and Ill will prove that to anyone in all around grass. Main thing is there are alot of mowers out there for a few thousand less than a Deere.

1993lx172

LawnSite Bronze Member
As a rule of thumb and this is coming from a Deere fan, the early 2008's are to be regarded with deep skepticism, upgrade kit or not. STAY AWAY FROM AN 08 800 series

The 2009's on the other hand are generally just fine with the upgrade kits on them. I go to college at Western Kentucky University and they have a fleet of 09 830s with the upgrade kits on them and when I talked to the foreman back in September he said that once the kits were installed they haven't had another problem. And from what I've heard when talking to guys that run them when I was at my dealer last summer, once the bugs are worked out they are a good mower.

That being said, if you can, step up to a 900. The 900's had the drive system totally redesigned and all of the issues addressed. There is a guy on here from the plant where they are built and he has said that the 900's are what the 800s were supposed to be.

In short: If it's an 09 WITH the upgrade kit you should be fine.

Unless there is no other option then go with an 08 with the kit installed, but those should be a last resort.

scotlykins

LawnSite Member
I looked at the 900 series a week ago and the hydro units were different than the 820 or 830,(don't remember). The 800 had a single hydro-Wheel motor for each side while the 900 had separate hydro and wheel motor for each side.

Can anyone give me the problems the 800 line experienced? My local dealer bought quite a few at the end of last year and are selling them with a deep discount.

mowerbrad

LawnSite Fanatic
The 800 series got quite a bad reputation after the 08 models came out. They were mainly the ones with the problems. Deere came out with the update kits, had them installed on all the 800 series mowers. I know some people still complained about problems after the undate kit in 08, but for the most part, the update kit did fix the problem.

Now the 09 models, seemed to be much more "liked". I know a guy near me who bought two new 09 830's and had zero problems with them. From what I heard the 830's didn't have quite the problems that the smaller models did. I want to say that the 810's and 820's were usually the ones that people experienced problems with the most, not saying that there wasn't problems with other models though. But the 09 models for the most part seemed to be pretty good mowers.

Now as far as the 900's go, if you can, I'd get one of those. I haven't had the opportunity to purchase mine yet, let alone demo one...but after looking at them, talking with guys that run the 800's and talking with my dealer, I think the 900 series mowers are great machines. So I would go for a 900 before I'd go for an 800...but either way you go, you will be happy. Its just the 900 series has addressed any problems that came up on the 800's and seems to be an all around better machine.

They do cut good but not like my Velocity does and Ill will prove that to anyone in all around grass. Main thing is there are alot of mowers out there for a few thousand less than a Deere.
I'd like to know what brand is going to be "a few thousand less"? A few thousand to me means about $3000-$4000. So I got a quote on the 925 I'm going to be buying, with the 54" MOD deck and nothing else, the price came to $10,500 (about the same price as a 60" standard deck). Once I added on the bagging system, the price was $13,300. Now, I'd like to know where you could get a scag, exmark, toro, etc. for $3000 less than that. So if you find out where I can get one for only $10,300 with everything, let me know.

Deere is no more expensive than any other major brand on the market.

SouthSide Cutter

LawnSite Bronze Member
The 800 series got quite a bad reputation after the 08 models came out. They were mainly the ones with the problems. Deere came out with the update kits, had them installed on all the 800 series mowers. I know some people still complained about problems after the undate kit in 08, but for the most part, the update kit did fix the problem.

Now the 09 models, seemed to be much more "liked". I know a guy near me who bought two new 09 830's and had zero problems with them. From what I heard the 830's didn't have quite the problems that the smaller models did. I want to say that the 810's and 820's were usually the ones that people experienced problems with the most, not saying that there wasn't problems with other models though. But the 09 models for the most part seemed to be pretty good mowers.

Now as far as the 900's go, if you can, I'd get one of those. I haven't had the opportunity to purchase mine yet, let alone demo one...but after looking at them, talking with guys that run the 800's and talking with my dealer, I think the 900 series mowers are great machines. So I would go for a 900 before I'd go for an 800...but either way you go, you will be happy. Its just the 900 series has addressed any problems that came up on the 800's and seems to be an all around better machine.

I'd like to know what brand is going to be "a few thousand less"? A few thousand to me means about $3000-$4000. So I got a quote on the 925 I'm going to be buying, with the 54" MOD deck and nothing else, the price came to $10,500 (about the same price as a 60" standard deck). Once I added on the bagging system, the price was $13,300. Now, I'd like to know where you could get a scag, exmark, toro, etc. for $3000 less than that. So if you find out where I can get one for only $10,300 with everything, let me know.

Deere is no more expensive than any other major brand on the market.
You need to check around. I wont tell you what I bought my Bobcat for but you can call them and check for yourself. I bought a 27HP 61", a 48" Hydro WB and a Snapper 21 Com. selfpropelled for what your paying for the mower your getting They sell Bobcat, Gravely, Scag, Hustler and Big Dog. Call them Southern In Equipment Lannesville In. It was a 1.5hr drive one way for me but worth everypenny. And Everything is warr. 2yr 2000hr.