1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns in the Franchising forum plus sign up to receive a FREE eBook on how to grow your landscape business.

Dismiss Notice

another aeration price question

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by CutRight, Feb 27, 2006.

1. CutRight

CutRight LawnSite Senior Member

i know theres been some posts on this, but nobody really gave any prices. I don't do much of this stuff besides on my own lawn, i mainly just mow and do new construction but....

customer of mine wants a price for dethatching, aerating, start fertilizer, and overseeding.

he wanted me to dethatch the lawn by hand back in the fall when i did his leaf clean up, but didnt understand that I wanted to charge more money to rake his whole yard by hand rather than just cleaning it up with my leaf sucker thing. (boy do i hate doing leaves) so anyways i told him it would be better to just clean up the whole yard in the spring and do everything at once ( yes i know the fall is the best time to plant seed, but besides that)

so its about a 10,000 sq ft lot if my memory serves me correct

and if i think about all the time and whatnot it would take to do the lot i was figuring around .16cents a square foot, materials included. so $1600, now that seems a lot to me, and I know hes not going to like it, but i've never done this for a client before. For new construction houses I put down seed, start fert, and straw all the time for .10 a sq. foot (could probably go higher). so .16 cents sq.ft. seems to make sense for the extra work of dethatching and aerating.

costs
    materials (seed, fert, straw) $300 give or take i dont know the prices exactly yet this year.
    fuel, tractor time $200
    total $500

$1600 - 500 = $1100 profit
    does this make sense to anyone? just wanted to see what other guys are getting for doing this type of service.

2. chriscraft

chriscraft LawnSite Senior Member

Ball park in my area for 10,000 is around 150 dethatch, 75 aerate. seed 75, fert 30, so around $ 330 give or take plus haulaway time involved 3 man hours

3. CAG

CAG LawnSite Senior Member
    from ct

its depends how bad is the thatch.. if someone wanted me to hand rake a whole yard i would not worry about being priced high..

4. IMoLwnz.com

IMoLwnz.com LawnSite Member

about 500 to aerate/ seed /Fert
    170.00 to dethatch
    No straw
    what I would charge in my area. good profit with my equipment

5. chriscraft

Wow you can get.50 cents per sq foot for jsur aearate and overseed? im moving to penn

6. eruuska

eruuska LawnSite Senior Member

For 10,000 sf, $120 to aerate, $200 to slit seed, $40 to fert. I wouldn't dethatch by hand, not in a million years. That's why God invented machines.

7. chriscraft

Do you own a slitseeder, dethatcher, and aerator also or do you have to rent them?

8. eruuska

eruuska LawnSite Senior Member

I rent them, but I try to schedule several jobs at the same time to maximize the return on the rental dollar. I'll probably pick up a decent aerator in the next 12 months, maybe a seeder as well.

9. chriscraft

Now i understand the pricing a bit more, Our market cant bear that price for the aerating or the seeding. W have guys aerating around here for $30 for 5,000. thank god they jsuthave lil ryans or rent them. We start out at $45.00 base for aerating, but we have 42" tow behinds and 4 litlle 19 and 26" ryans.If you do a lot of them i would look into it, We can do 25-35 a day easily with 2 guys a tow behind and a 26 ryan, It beats cutting grass for sure