1. Free Webinar: Why the Growth of Propane Deserves Your Attention
    Date: Thursday, April 25th
    Time: 11:00am EST
    Find out how switching to propane can save your company time and money. Click here to register
    Dismiss Notice

Another Crew Leader Gone - truck question!

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by Arvydas, Apr 3, 2019.

1. TPendagast

TPendagast LawnSite Fanatic
    Male

I’m
    Actually NOT exaggerating
    All those things have happened
    And I didn’t even write down ALL the things that have

The dude who rolled the stander backwards over himself down the ramp of the truck
    Or the dude that bungeed the push mowers to each other but nothing solid or stationary then forgot to put the pin in the ramp to secure it so when he drove around the round about they all sling shot off the back of the truck and into moving traffic

The problems with trailers are just as long ... just different

There is no solution to avoid training
    All the stuff I’ve listed had happened on mowing trucks -Isuzu’s wiry ramp body’s and no trailers.

This is why we have training academy now
    Everyone goes through it
    No assumptions Someone knows what they’re doing just because they say the have experience
    Different class held every Saturday
    We even train other people’s employees
    And it’s free

hort101 likes this.
  2. Wolfgang

Wolfgang LawnSite Member
    from Ireland

Guy local to us uses a tail lift on the back of his flatbed, hydraulic lift and capable of lifting 1 ton, looks good seeing them load/unload zero turns off it.

3. TPendagast

TPendagast LawnSite Fanatic
    Male

It’s slow
    You’d be surprised how amazing slow it is once you’ve had to do it a dozen times a day

zlandman and Wolfgang like this.
  4. Oxmow

Oxmow LawnSite Senior Member

We have a guy here that uses an old Uhaul with a 4’ Tommy lift on it too. The ZTR hangs off the back when they lift it up:hammerhead:

5. landscaper22

landscaper22 LawnSite Bronze Member

My biggest thing is I would not have enough storage without a trailer. My truck toolbox fills up quick and the entire v of my trailer has shelves and used for storage. I have a truck and trailer full at any given time. Not to mention if I have a job where I have debris to haul.

As far as the continuous training, I feel ya. It is just always going to be part of the wonderful line of work we chose. Just have to face it, it is not a job that most people are lining up for. Or it's not a "priority" job for most. When something better comes up, they are gone.

hort101 likes this.
  6. snomaha

snomaha LawnSite Bronze Member
    from midwest

Quote has been attributed to several people on line and it applies here.

Interviewer - "what if you spend all this time training people and they leave?"

Business owner - "what if we dont and they stay?"

hort101 and zlandman like this.
  7. landscaper22

landscaper22 LawnSite Bronze Member

Business owner smokes some strong stuff...:dizzy::laugh:

8. OP
    OP
    Arvydas

Arvydas LawnSite Member

Haha, that's very true. I'm just looking for ways to spend my training hours most effectively and not reinvent the wheel every time.

hort101 likes this.