Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I searched, but found little..... so..... here goes.

I have a lawn that is mowed high ( 3 - 4 inches), watered well, (not over watered) and manicured often.

I do the fertilization and weed control and know it was not overdone.

The soil is a sandy soil that is unusual in my area of the state but I have 5 other lawns in the same area (same soil) with no problems. One is right next door.

The grass died.

Not in circles, not in stripes, not in small patches. It did not go dormant, the plant is gone, bent over, and deteriated away. In a 2000 square foot area there may be 10 square feet of good lawn if you grouped all the sparse sprigs together.

I am going to take a soil sample to the county for examination but would like any ideas I can get from you guys also.

My plan is to go in there with an aerator / seeder and plant new grass in the fall. I am worried that the soil is sour???

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I thought of each, grubs and water........

Grubs usually start in a small area and progress, this went BAM, no grass!

Water ? Hell Man, I am in WISCONSIN ! *laughing* Seriously, we have had a dry spell, then a lot of rain but it is very unusual to lose a lawn around here, they usually go dormant. Plus, the tenant swears he watered and I believe him since he takes very good care of everything.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Wow, these are things I have never heard of.

The grass is in the back yard, otherwise I would suspect salt from the driveway was the cause. That is how it acted as it vanished. I have seen no insect, or worm on the sight.

If it is ..... ?? pythium?? can I just reseed in the fall or is this something in the soil that needs to be neutralized?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yes, I went to the County Ext with a small sample...... they were not too helpful without a proper sample that needs to be sent away, scrutinize, prodded, bleached, blown, wet, dried, and interviewed. This will take awhile.

I just wanted someone there that did not sit behind a desk all day that may be able to answer a few questions. That person did not exist so I will run the gamut and hope they can figure it out.

I decided to also wait until mid to late Sept. to reseed, this should be quite a change of weather by then.

Thanks for the help, ...........by the way, they are not really going to interrogate the sample!!!!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.