1. Can’t make it to the GIE+EXPO 2017?
    LawnSite brings the trade show floor to your fingertips with our new GIE+EXPO 2017 Sneak Peek video series debuting now in the Lawn Mowing forum.

Dismiss Notice

Another Insurance Question

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by mowerman48, Dec 18, 2005.

1. mowerman48

mowerman48 LawnSite Member

Hey Guys,
    I've been mowing mostly residential for about five years. Next year I'll be bidding for a couple of townhouse complexes. Currently I don't have any insurance other than on my trucks. I do have plowing coverage on one truck. I live in Minnesota. Do most policies cover equipment and vehicles and general liability. Whats a good liability amount and what are some good insurance companies.

Thanks a lot for the help, Happy Holidays.

2. HOOLIE

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

I have $1 million general liability insurance (covers myself and one employee), as well as coverage for the equipment. That would most likely be what you need at this point. I have mine thru Erie Ins.

Some commercial clients might require more than a million in liability...

Make sure your equipment is sufficiently insured...in the event of a complete theft, you want to make sure you're getting enough money to purchase new equipment on short notice. I have heard of a few guys whose policies only paid out the "current value" of the equipment. Good luck finding good used equipment on short notice...